Saturday, June 19, 2010

Veggie Vanna

Why do we have food festivals in the heat of a Richmond June?

I propose a motion that we move all food fests to the fall or spring so that they don't have to be sweat fests.

Anyone second the motion?

I'd probably have just skipped the Vegetarian Festival today, even though I had enjoyed it when Andrew and I went two years ago to shoot video (which was saying a lot for two carnivores like us), except I'd agreed to play helper.

Second banana.

Able assistant. Whatever you want to call the person who agrees to assist her talented friend give the final cooking demonstration of the day at Veggie Fest.

So blazing heat or no, I was going to Bryan Park along with half the known world.

The only thing we had time to taste was the dairy-free gelato (strawberry and dark chocolate) which helped cool us down but got to be too sweet before long.

And then it was showtime, so we tied on our aprons, plugged in the Cuisinart and turned on the microphone.

The cooking demonstration was well attended despite being the last of the day and involved demonstrating "new classics," that is, dishes that were vegan before anyone cared about veganism, namely French potato salad and roasted root veggies with Romesco sauce.

There were large spring onions, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, potatoes and, perhaps best of all, spaghetti squash to provide a canvas for the glory that is the Romesco.

Friend demonstrated, shared historical and culinary tidbits and spoke knowledgeably while I stirred and smiled.

And then I smiled and served plates of these taste delights, which the sweaty crowd devoured.

Granted, it was a pretty simple job, but I'd like to think that Vanna herself couldn't have done it any better.

And, let me assure you, she too would have been sweating like a stuck pig, albeit a tofu pig.

No comments:

Post a Comment