Thursday, June 17, 2010

Courting Commentary at Full Kee

Through a series of random events, a friend and I unexpectedly ended up having dim sum at Full Kee today.

It wasn't what we'd planned to do, but he'd mistakenly thought his doctor's appointment was at 11:40 when it was actually at 1:40, so we punted.

It was fine with me because I hadn't been in for dim sum since Easter a year ago and while it's not quite as much fun doing it on a weekday as it is on a weekend (I do so enjoy just choosing from the cart rather than ordering off a limited menu), it's still a pleasurable way to do lunch and savor a wide variety of tastes.

So we ordered all kinds of things like roasted pork in a bun, shrimp and chive dumplings, spare ribs and black beans, sesame balls and at least a couple more on which I'm drawing a blank.

We hadn't gotten together in several weeks because he'd recently moved (to J-Ward, even...smart man!) and had been busy getting settled.

What that meant was that he'd done his homework last night catching up on my blog so he'd know what to ask about and what to give me a hard time about.

All is fair in love and blogs, as they say.

But what had struck him was the recent spate of commenting that had been going on here. Some posts have gotten more than a dozen comments and that's a lot for this little blog.

The first one that had caught his eye was the Ode to Delicate Men commentary, here, which was particularly interesting for the array of comments it elicited, some about the history angle and others about the appeal of such men.

It's not often that a post about a history lecture gets people going, so I was thrilled to see it.

And then there was the Dishing in Dawn post, here, an innocuous little piece about going to a fish fry in the country over the weekend.

The commenting began Saturday afternoon and continued right through yesterday, although with the exception of the first commenter, very few of the remarks had much to do with community eating or fried trout.

But that's fine because I got to hear from readers, regular readers apparently, from whom I'd never before gotten a comment. It might have been even more gratifying than having lunch with Alma and Evelyn, no small feat.

Which is not to disparage in any way the readers who regularly comment on my blog.

I have been hugely flattered to see some of the same names cropping up on my comment pages of late and have tried to convey my pleasure in their attentiveness.

I'm inclined to think that these are people with whom I would want to have face-to-face conversations and actually get to know better.

I'd just have to hope that they'd like me as much in person as they do when reading me on a screen.

But I'm the nervy sort, so I'd probably be willing to take that chance.

2 comments:

  1. Here's to more comments!

    I think you should run a restaurant recommendation service. For example: my in-laws are in town this weekend. Nothing too . . . adventurous, and maybe something with live music. Or that could be after dinner. Oh, and the place can't be too noisy. Quick, Karen -- where do we go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Antonia, such a compliment! I suppose I would have a suggestion or two for any occasion...

    ReplyDelete