Sunday, June 27, 2010

Hello Moon

So I'm back at the little oceanfront house I rent every summer, with the usual itinerary: eat, drink, read, walk, sleep.

With the changes in my personal life, there have been some adjustments to my vacation routine, though; I invited a steady stream of visitors to join me throughout the time I'm down here.

Taking a page from Dr. Seuss, I'm going to refer to my visitors as Things.

Thing 1 is my only guest at the moment, but that will change tomorrow.

In the meantime, we had Thai fish fritters made with sea bass (it was the fish of the day, so it was all over the menu) and served with sweet chile sauce at Colington Cafe (Skeeter's, my first choice, was closed today).

The sun went down over the marsh as we made the shift from country ham to crab, scallops and sea bass.

When we got back, it was to witness the orangest moon sitting right on the horizon, surely an indicator that a walk toward it was in order.

Thing 1 is a photographer, not that he took any pictures, but I hadn't even been down to the ocean since we'd arrived, so it was time to correct that.

The moon continued its ascent as we walked through the water's edge, losing its color gradually, but gaining a brightness that illuminated a path across the ocean.

Definitely postcard-worthy.

And while I could wax poetic about the sound of the ocean all around me, the lively breeze that seems to be coming from every direction and the benefits of porch swing therapy, I probably ought to get to bed.

It's almost 12:30 and I've got a long day of eating, drinking and being merry to attend to tomorrow.

And then there's those ten books just begging to be read and talked about.

Thing 2, best bring your A game is all I'm saying.

Is it any wonder I keep coming back to this place?

No comments:

Post a Comment