Friday, June 11, 2010

I Will Miss His Frequency

Old friends are best. King James used to call for his old shoes; they were easiest to his feet.
~John Selden (1584- 1654)

One of my oldest friends is moving from Maryland to Key West, which means our monthly get-togethers for lunch/dinner/theater in DC/Fredericksburg will end. I'm completely bummed about this upcoming change even as I celebrate the new chapter in his life and wish him the best.

Today we had our next-to-last meal together at Bistro Bethem in Fredericksburg at our usual table and it was a little bittersweet. We tried not to spend too much time on the subject of his departure, but it was the elephant in the room, so there was really no ignoring it.

I love this guy for many reasons, not the least of which is that he's my biggest cheerleader, here. He brought up the perfect woman theory yet again today and I still find it hugely gratifying because this is a guy who has been happily in a relationship since the day I met him, yet whose high opinion of me has never wavered. We are proof positive that men and women can be the best of friends without ever crossing that line in the sand.

And soon he will move to a place he has been visiting since before I met him and will only return to the area a couple of times a year. I will miss his raunchy sense of humor and his well-informed take on life and love. I will miss seeing a sharp-dressed man walking down the street grinning at me in anticipation of our time together.

I will miss someone who remembers me before I was fully formed (although he would say I was always exactly the same as I am today). I will miss trying new restaurants in DC with him and losing track of where we were because we were in our own little world. I will miss how easily (and loudly) he made me laugh.

I don't want to get too downbeat, because the friendship isn't ending. It's only the frequency which is changing and some is better than none, at least in this case. But like comfy old shoes, this is one of two friendships in my life that is so easy, so stress-free as to be effortless.

Not that I wouldn't have been willing to work at it, but it was never once necessary in all these years. And I have a feeling he will still be my biggest fan, no matter where he lives. Believe me, I know how lucky that makes me.

6 comments:

  1. Life is a road with many twists and turns. I enjoy your missives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The past year and a half has been the most twisting and turning of my entire life.

    I enjoy hearing that my missives give you pleasure.

    Please come again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for your friend. He has made so many of his dreams come true over the years and always with determination, smarts and that wonderful sense of humor. I

    know you will miss him terribly and I am sorry you will have a small hole in your heart but he will always be there for you.

    Just think, you now have a beautiful place to visit and Key West is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww... You warm my heart. I'm blessed to have you as a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely homage to a friend.
    He must of been very pleased, and I'm sorry that he is leaving your hometown. phooey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danny,

    Some day you'll be a long-time friend, too, and I'll write an ode to you.

    WHOA.

    ReplyDelete