Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Sky View From the Shower

There are few beach pleasures that rival that of the outdoor shower.

For the best possible experience, it must be a wooden enclosure only partially covered on top so as to afford a view of the sky while showering.

It should be located not under the house, but next to it and on the oceanside to ensure the constant sound of the surf being audible.

The door must lock from the inside and anything else is gravy.

I am so enamored of the outdoor beach shower that I try to make converts of non-believing visitors.

One year a friend refused my offer of the outdoor shower because he assumed it would have only cold water.

No, my friend, these days we have hot and cold running water in outside showers, rustic as they may seem to the uninitiated.

Yes, there may be some sea grass growing up between the slats of the floor, but the water can be just as hot as you want it to be.

Diehards like me even shower outside when it's raining, like yesterday.

By the time we finished happy hour, the lightening show had yielded to rain.

Precipitation or not, we had to get cleaned up for dinner, so Thing 2 and I showered in the rain.

The rain only comes in on either side inside the stall, so as you stand under the shower stream scrubbing up, rainwater falls on either side of you.

It's like being under a wooden umbrella with the rain falling all around, except that you're also under water, albeit warm water and not rain.

This is my idea of shower heaven.

I bring all this up as I prepare to go outside to shower.

Regrettably, 3:30 was beach departure time for the magnificent Thing 2, which coincided with departure time from Georgetown for Thing 3, giving me roughly five hours to occupy myself before Thing 3's arrival.

I've already been informed that I am to be ready to head out immediately to celebrate the moment the car pulls up out front.

And although it's only 5:00 now, there's never any telling how long a beach shower can last, so I'd better get started soon.

Between the pleasures of an outdoor soaping and then happy hour, I've got plenty to occupy me for the next three hours before my next guest arrives.

Excuse me while I kiss the sky...or at least admire it from the shower.

6 comments:

  1. When we go to the beach, my kids will go a week or ten days without ever seeing the inside of the bathtub - all we use is the outdoor shower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need more people like you raising kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One could also wax eloquent about a certain rural jakes NW of Lexington where, while doing one's bidness, one may gaze upon a greensward and across the holler while watching the deer forage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I couldn't have but you just did.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you and Thing 2 shower outside together, at the same time and who the hell is Thing 1,2,and 3? I am currently living vicariously through you and your heterosexual life (which is so sad for me)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure my life is worthy of being lived vicariously through, but do what you want to do...

    And always shower outside when given the option.

    ReplyDelete