Thursday, June 24, 2010

Spreading the Blog Hate

I was caught off guard by who came to my defense when negative and inaccurate comments about me started being tossed around in the online world, here. Let's just say I was impressed with the array of interesting people who had my back.

And to those people, all of whom named themselves, I extend a heartfelt thanks for the kind words. For those willing to blast me but not leave their real names, please allow me to address your concerns.

Ex-Chef: Sorry, but I am not, nor have I ever been, Karen Miller. I have never lived or worked in North Carolina or been a part of the hospitality industry. You can get snarky all you want, but there's no reason to trash another Karen and then point people to my blog. At least have the decency to hate me for me.

To A Lowely Line Cook: I have said repeatedly in my blog that I am NOT a food blogger. Mine is a lifestyle blog with occasional food references. And yet again I'll point out that I did not ask to be on eatingrichmond.com. Jason asked me to add my blog and I declined, citing specifically that I was not a food blogger. He persisted saying that I would be relevant on the site, I disagreed, he insisted and I finally relented. For the last time, I am NOT a food blogger (nor having sex in the city, if that was your implication; I don't watch TV so I'm not exactly sure).

And to Stop Eating at Chains: You certainly are a regular reader of my blog for someone who clearly doesn't enjoy what I write (and thinks my head is going to pop). Here's the thing, though. I don't for a moment believe that I'm great, as you seem to think. I do think I'm having a great time, all things considered. If that annoys you, so be it.

Better yet, lighten up.

10 comments:

  1. That is unfortunate and kind of weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My reaction exactly. It's so easy to NOT read a blog you don't like. Why make it personal?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having read all of your posts, you never begin one with out first setting its stage. Your musings add up to well made observations.
    Haters' comments ranged from ridiculous to hilarious. From reading your posts, you are anything, but 'sloven.'
    As I glean from your posts, you embrace life. You enjoy people, food, wine, music and art, to name, but a few. Your wit is quick. I find your posts irresistible snapshots about your day and life. Thank you for sharing. Patrick M. PS. As I've mentioned before, life is a road filled with many twists and turns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Antonia FC and Karen....my sentiments exactly. I read a handful of blogs every day (some local, some not) because either the writing or the content appeals to me. With the millions of blogs out there, I certainly wouldn't subject myself to ones I don't like. Stop Eating at Chains, whoever he/she is, is just bitter and jealous of your wonderful, rich and interesting life so don't even think twice of engaging with this kind of person. I do look forward to your posts every day so keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately they get to make it personal for you without making it personal for them--thanks to the anonymity of online commenting. I find people who are proud and willing to defend their statements usually identify themselves; I'm sorry you were negatively affected by the other sort needlessly sharing their ill-informed rants on a public (and rather inappropriate) forum. Carry on, as you were!

    ReplyDelete
  6. From my perspective, you do sometimes come across as a little...um...not humble. I don't make assumptions about what you're like in real life, because I don't know you from a fencepost. Everyone that does know you seems to think you're a delight, though. It may just be in your choice of phrase.

    On the other hand, you get more into a week than most of us do in a year. I have two small children and no parental relief to speak of, but I do enjoy reading about what I could be doing. I'm glad someone's taking full advantage of the cultural events this city has to offer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When blogs attack! Never mind, I enjoy reading your posts. Don't let it get you down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep having fun and ignore the naysayers. Your blog is a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As someone who has had the privilege to have known Karen as a close friend for years, I can tell you she is intelligent, inquisitive, smart, funny (oh so very funny) and at times, a bit whimsical.

    As for her not being humble, you are mistaken. There is no arrogance about her. If you misinterpret her mentioning the compliments she gets, believe me, she has not mentioned all she gets in a day. Who wouldn't like compliments and why not mention on your own personal blog?

    If you are so put off by her, you have the choice to read her blog or not. She loves Richmond and only wants to share "her" experiences.

    She is good for Richmond and will defend the city to her last breath. How many people can you say will do that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. karen - your last "lighten up" sentence in this post is the best ever

    ReplyDelete