Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Natives Believe Love Desires Verse 2013

Remember when I used to have enough time to put out my annual list by the end of the year?

Yea, vaguely, I do. So I'm a little behind the game, but here it finally is, my annual list of favorite records, the ones that got far too much playing time as I over-indulged myself by hitting "repeat" all too often.

Local Natives "Hummingbird
A fellow music lover sent me an e-mail last February saying that this was the best new album so far. Not exactly high praise in the second month but it took me exactly one listen to fall in love with it, too. It's lush, it's emotional, there are two vocalists and the layers of sound are pure ear candy. It got the year off to a fabulous musical beginning.
My song: "Ceilings" At less than three minutes, it's entirely too short, but this song could take the worst day and make it sunny and beautiful again.
The show: June 19 at the National, here.

Chvrches "The Bones of What You Believe"
All I had to do was read about this band playing at Virgin Free Fest to know that they were a band for me. Sometimes you just know. Then there were those Glaswegian voices, synths and a sound that hearkened back to the likes of Depeche Mode. Be still my '80s heart.
My song: "Under the Tide" An atypical choice because it's the rare song not sung by lead singer Laura Mayberry, but between the hopeful lyrics and rocking energy, it's a killer song, even more so live.
The show: November 30 at the National, here

The Love Language "Ruby Red"
I think bandleader Stuart could write a pop gem in his sleep and this album was one after another, so it must have been a hell of a night. There were something like 26 musicians who played on the recording of it to achieve the hooky, dense sound he wanted. Clearly, he knew what he was doing.
My song: "Golden Age" Soaring, longing and downright beautiful, this song belongs as background music to a dreamy life. Maybe mine.
The show: August 2 at Strange Matter, here

Small Black "Limits of Desire"
I was listening to a program of new music on the radio and a song came on that oozed a neo-'80s sound with R & B influences. It was Small Black and I followed their breathy vocals and synths to an album that doesn't have a song on it I don't enjoy hearing for the hundreth time. I recommended it to someone who later wrote me, "We're driving Skyline Drive, listening to Small Black and I'm thinking about marrying this boy." Such is the power of Small Black.
My song: "No Stranger"/"Sophie" I don't think it's an accident that one song follows the other. This is an absolutely perfect one-two punch.
No show: I wish they'd make it to Virginia for my sake.

Frightened Rabbit "Pedestrian Verse
Maybe it's having a Scottish friend, maybe it's that one trip to Scotland, but I am a sucker for hearing the Scots sing. The band gets tighter with each album and leader Scott writes better songs as he manages to sing of life and love in that distinctive Scottish way.
My song: "Late March, Death March" How does he manage to brood and make it sound so appealing at the same time? Don't know, don't care. Keep it coming, though.
The show: October 14 at the Jefferson, here

That's hardly all I listened to this year, but they would be the ones that got on people's nerves who spent any time in my car or living room, where they stayed in constant rotation.

They got played in the city, at the beach, on road trips and late at night while I was blogging.

The music of a year that ended surprisingly better than I could have hoped for.

No comments:

Post a Comment