Thursday, January 9, 2014

Black Velvet Lunch

Lunch was all about monogamy.

Because a good friend and I hadn't met up in months, he had plenty new to share today.

Although he now lives in Church Hill, he used to be part of Jackson Ward, so I couldn't resist taking him to the neighborhood's latest and greatest, Lucy's.

We sat right in the sunny front window next to the living wall, me squinting against the sunlight and watching the pageantry of Second Street and him checking out the space, admiring the community table and posting board, complete with black velvet artwork.

How is it an avid thrifter, photographer and jewelry artist has never heard of black velvet painting kits?

For lunch, I finally decided on the Downtown Cheddar, an excuse to try some of the beef that comes from co-owner Amanda's sister's cow farm on the northern neck.

And while I've been to that farm and met the cows, I'd not tasted them.

House made Monrovia Farms roast beef was stacked thickly on a Billy Bread bun, served warm with cheddar, caramelized onion for contrasting sweetness and horseradish mayo to clear my stuffy head. The spicy pickle chips were a hit with both of us. On the side, I got three-bean salad to help myself justify the mound o' meat.

Meanwhile I checked on Friend's love life, like mine, an ever-evolving saga.

I was treated to some of his male humor- the burden of dating women of a certain age who are at their sexual peak, blah, blah, women wanting to talk about monogamy but taking forever to get it out, blah, blah- as he finally got to the point: he and his girlfriend are finally talking about moving in together.

In six months or so.

He's a non-drinker so I couldn't suggest celebrating his progress, but that's a pretty big step for him considering that a few months ago she wanted to start grocery shopping together and the idea of that shared intimacy sent tremors of fear through him.

Now he's bringing back ham bones from a Christmas visit to his mother and she's making soup with them. Doing "practice sleepovers" to see how they handle workday mornings together.

I told him I had nothing anywhere near that committed to share with him.

Give me what you got, he insisted.

It wasn't much, but enough to elicit a loud and excited "good!" from him because at least I'm dating, leading to a discussion of our fairly recent friendship, which I told him is nearing the five-year mark.

Has it really been that long, he asked incredulously.

Get back with me when you've been with her for that long, my friend, and I'll give you a five-year chip to commemorate the occasion.

No telling where my love life will be at that point, but we can meet for lunch and I'll let you know.

'Cause that's what friends do.

4 comments:

  1. Five years, huh? That made me laugh. BTW, where's my Christmas card?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can laugh, but not many people can claim knowing me since college.

    Did you delay the holidays when it didn't arrive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I delayed, but gave in at the last minute. One would have to be daft to not have noticed how full a schedule you have. However, you're not off the hook for this year.

      Delete