Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Primary Donut

Good neighbor, good citizen.

My daily walk has taken me right by Sugar Shack Donuts since it was nothing but a scroungy used car corner lot.

I watched daily as it was cleaned up, refitted and then nothing seemed to happen forever.

When I read that today was finally the day, I stuffed money in my bra and headed out to walk, knowing there'd be a treat to pick up along the way.

As I approached, I saw only two vehicles in the parking lot - a Dominion truck and a VCU truck, neither of which looked promising.

But inside, the place was buzzing with people, so apparently like me, they'd walked over.

Score one for my neighborhood donut shop.

The case held a mix of cake and yeast donuts as well as "outcasts," as they call them, like bear claws and other non-donut types.

Sadly, they were already sold out of my favorite, chocolate cake donuts.

Instead I chose a fresh orange zest-iced cake donut to go and asked the girl at the counter what today had been like.

They'd opened at 6 a.m. and long since run out of vegan and gluten-free donuts, not to mention other people's favorites.

Of course, now I have a reason to stop by again soon and see if they've got it.

Further down Leigh Street, I ran into the chef from Magpie, who also had plans to get neighborhood donuts before turning into Carver School to do my duty as a citizen.

Unlike a full election where they're expecting a big turnout, school was still in session with lots of excited children lined up to go to the cafeteria for lunch.

Me, I sailed right into the auditorium with my donut still bagged, stated my name, showed my ID and found out I was only the 47th voter of the morning.

Forty seven!

Considering the polls had opened an hour after Sugar Shack had, I had a feeling that far more people had been there than here.

Sadly.

All I'm saying is, I deserve the orange zest crumbs now on my mouth because I'm also wearing an "I Voted" sticker.

Come on, people, didn't your mother tell you, no donuts unless you vote?

No comments:

Post a Comment