Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Hearing the Licks

If I said it was just another night of gypsy jazz, I'd be lying.

Because honestly, how much gypsy jazz comes to town?

But tonight at Balliceaux, the RVA Big Band was replaced by Kings County Swing out of Brooklyn, a trio of guys playing two guitars and an upright bass.

I was at a front table with a long-haired music lover on either side of me and looking at a band who all wore hats.

I concluded that they were a dapper group.

Turns out they knew how to swing, too.

From the opening notes of Louis Armstrong's "After You've Gone" through multiple Django Reinhardt tunes to a waltz (practically a requirement in gypsy jazz) and "Shine On, Harvest Moon," the music lovers among us sat enchanted while an overly large contingent of talkers drowned out the band.

Happily, it wasn't enough to discourage the swing dancers in the room and whether male/female couples or two women (which left more than a few men helpless not to stare), the music was made for moving.

I just kept hoping the talkers would move to the front room, but no such luck.

During the break, I was chatted up by a guy who works at the National and was full of behind-the-scenes stories.

Like how Sufjan Stevens flat-out refused to come out and meet fans, despite being told they were waiting for him.

How Passion Pit's singer was so sick the first of their two-night stand that the rest of the band went back to the hotel while he slept on the tour bus alone.

About how they're expecting protesters at Ted Nugent's show.

During the break, I also saw a girl trying to work her magic on the band, claiming she was a singer, but when the second set started to a nearly full room and they asked her up for a song, she demurred.

And then gulped back the rest of her drink.

I felt certain her vocals couldn't have compared to lead singer Jordan's distinctive tones.

Fortunately, we weren't subjected to her attempts at singing and the band went back to wowing the crowd with their sure-handed musicianship and wide repertoire of songs.

I'd have to put in my vote for the classic Louis Armstrong tune about pig,"Struttin' with Some Barbecue," as the evening's centerpiece.

Hear that old trombone
And the trumpet ad lib
Love to hear the lick
While I do my pickin'
Pickin' on a juicy rib

When they finished the song, one of the guys next to me turned and observed, "That one made me hungry."

Hell, all those swinging minor keys just made me happy.

1 comment:

  1. how in a world did I miss that!
    I was with the Holmes tasting wines

    ReplyDelete