Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Legs on a Lily Pad

We went for the glider tables.

A friend suggested the Lily Pad for dinner and while I knew the Osborne boat landing park, I'd never set foot in the simple little restaurant at the waterfront.

We must not have looked like locals since all conversation stopped when we walked in, but with a few comments and smiles in their direction, it was soon back to business as usual.

Choosing a (surprisingly pleasant) Malbec off the cinder block-wall selection, we looked around the quaint little restaurant.

Cloth tablecloths of varying patterns, fresh flowers on several tables, a giant clock to keep track of when the wife expects you home, all the necessities of a local joint.

If I had any complaint with it, it was the radio tuned to oldies because I just don't need to hear those songs anymore.

Turns out Tuesdays are sushi night and we were given a list to choose from.

Thinking that a hearty Malbec was probably not the best pairing for sushi, we settled for a Rivah Roll (with avocado misspelled) and a lovely-looking roll arrived, shrimp tails sticking up and out of the slices.

As the place began to clear out, our server warned us that the kitchen would be closing early since clearly the rain was keeping people away.

Without even asking for menus, we ordered off the specials board, my companion asking for a steak and provolone (also misspelled) sub while I couldn't resist what was described as a "juicy cheeseburger."

For that matter, the chalkboard also suggested asking "one of our lovely servers" for the sushi listing, so adjectives were big here.

My cheeseburger was juicy, mainly due to getting it with everything, a lot of which kept sliding off the roll.

The cook stood at the end of the bar, probably watching us chew so he could clear our plates and get going, so we didn't linger over our food.

Instead, we went outside to one of the table gliders, a covered contraption with a glider on either side and a table in the middle.

And, yep, a gentle push off and the gliders rocked rhythmically while we sat facing each other, both with views of the river behind us.

I fully intend to go back some time when the weather is better and do my eating and drinking out there.

The sun was getting lower in the sky so we walked along the dock to the main one where a family was fishing as the sunset reflected off the still water.

It was amazing to think how far away it felt from the city and yet how relatively close it was.

Heading back into town, Church Hill seemed like the logical place to stop for a drink and since one of us had never been to Dutch & Co., it won by default.

Friend knew the bartender, I knew three of the lovely servers, including one I'd not seen since before she and her boyfriend moved to Maine to work on a farm.

Continuing the red wine theme, we got a bottle of Paul Hobbs Crossbarn Pinot Noir, a lovely accompaniment to the cheese plate of cloth-bound Cabot cheddar, herb spetzle, apple and smoked duck lardons.

Following up my juicy cheeseburger with such a stellar dessert and even better conversation was about as good as it gets on a misty Tuesday evening.

I say that but I also admit that it got even better when one of the servers came over and said in my ear, "I've seen you in tights and leggings so I knew your legs were good, but seeing them bare, I can't believe how beautiful they are."

If you ask me, that's a lovely server.

Damn, if only a man would say that to me, I'd be all set.

No comments:

Post a Comment