Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Copying a Relationship

Sometimes it takes the voice of experience to set a theater full of college students straight.

Tonight's film for the VCU Cinematheque series was "Certified Copy," a film shown last year at Cannes and which won Juliette Binoche a Best Actress award.

But that wasn't the reason it was worthy of being shown; it's because it was Iranian New Wave director Abbas Kiarostami's first film made outside his native country.

And that's why I needed to be there. Had I not gone tonight, I wouldn't have even known that there was Iranian New Wave.

Set in Tuscany, the film tells the story of an author whose new book is about how even "originals" aren't really original because everything comes from something.

After his book talk, he is taken by a shop owner for a day in the country and that's when the movie starts shape-shifting.

It was impossible to tell if the two were a long-time married couple of fifteen years or complete strangers spending a day together and pretending to be married.

Dialogue throughout in Italian, French and English suggested both possibilities.

"The way that you love someone changes their value." 

And that was the puzzle of the movie. At times it seemed that she was attempting to try new tactics to rekindle the relationship.

"If we were a bit more tolerant of each other's weaknesses, we wouldn't be alone."


Other times, they seemed like two smart people attracted to each other but playing at being a long-time couple after a shop owner presumed that they were married.

"It'd be stupid to ruin our lives for an ideal."


The notion of copying, whether in art or relationships, permeated the film, making for much philosophical discussion between the two.

You know, just like in real-life relationships.

If you copy the way you felt about a person originally, can those feelings be used to keep that relationship going forward?

And if you can, are the copied feelings any less real than the original ones? Any less valid?

During the discussion afterwards, the students in the audience offered myriad interpretations of the film; it was existentialist, Freudian, a mind game, even slow.

After a half dozen or so shared their opinions, a middle-aged non-student shared hers.

"You're young," she said to the students, "So you might not know this, but I thought the film was all about long-term relationships. Fifteen years is a long time and you've got to work at it to keep things going. I think that was the point."

I agreed with her. It really was as simple as that.

But, as one of the movie's characters said early on, "It's difficult to be simple."

You know, just like in real-life relationships.

6 comments:

  1. I just found your blog about a week ago and keep coming back, for new posts:) This one so far has been my all time favorite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you came in at a bad time considering I didn't post every single day last week for the first time in almost three years of blogging!

    It's great to hear that you keep coming back, though. I'll try not to disappoint, but be sure to let me know if I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i kept myself occupied with your older posts :) There's a lot on here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're telling me. Heaven help my readers if I ever get a love life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No no that would be cool! And even more fun to read I would think :) As a woman myself my life always seems far more interesting when I am in the dating pool...but it can get kind of icky too but for now its fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been out of the dating pool for almost three years now, so I may be out for good. Only time will tell...

    ReplyDelete