Sunday, January 2, 2011

Nine of Note: My Best of 2010

It would be silly for me to say that 2010 was a great year for music because I think every year is a great one.

Discovering new music, whether by familiar bands or fresh faces, is one of my great pleasures in life (undoubtedly that says something about the state of my personal/sex life). Every CD has the potential to be one that I rave about when people ask me for recommendations; some just grab me harder than others.

So here's my Top Nine list for the year. Around mid-summer I always start my master list of what's impressed me so far to ensure that I don't lose sight of any of the early-in-the-year stuff that wowed me, and just add on to it until the New Year rolls around. Then Andrew starts nagging me and I post my list.

For 2010, it looks like this:

1.The National: High Violet
I start my list with the band that has been my obsession since I first saw them in May 2007 at DAR. Between Matt Berninger's incredibly sexy baritone and his mature, thinking-man's lyrics, I can't imagine ever tiring of these guys and their evolving sound. Horns, violin and a lead singer who swigs from a bottle of wine onstage! I never have less than three of their CDs in my car at any given time, just in case of emergency. Favorite track: "Lemon World"

2. Beach House: Teen Dream
A big, dusky 60s-sounding voice, endless piano and an overall sense of sadness I could relate to kept this CD in high rotation since I first bought it. I saw these guys as an opener before "Teen Dream" was released, so I was blown away by how much more developed this album is than their previous stuff. When I meet someone new and we start talking music and they mention Beach House, I know we will have much to talk about and share in the future. Favorite track: "Lover of Mine"

3. Kings Go Forth: The Outsiders are Back
When I saw these guys at Balliceaux last spring, here, it was one of the most amazing musical experiences I've ever had and I've seen hundreds of shows. KGF kicked off their tour for the new CD in Richmond, yes Richmond, and for one night, their soul/funk/r & b jams were like a 2010 version of vintage soul in our own backyard. The album is the same, showing off their awesome horn section, three vocalists (black, white and Hispanic) and two drummers. It's good to know that the current generation is as capable of making butts shake as their forefathers. Favorite track: "High on Your Love"

4. Yeasayer: Odd Blood
This one came into my life last summer when there was a lot of competition for my listening time. The blend of experimental, arty and, yes, poppy indie rock wormed its way into my ears with all kinds of sounds I couldn't identify, but loved. I don't have to get you to love you, I just have to want more and this album was played at top volume on every road trip to the beach. Embrace the pop, admire the artiness. Favorite track: "I Remember"

5. Love Language: Libraries
I missed these guys opening up for Camera Obscura (due to a painful run-in) so I made a point to go to Charlottesville to catch them a few months later. To my mind, they have a layered and shimmery 60s sound, simple and pure and absolutely ear-pleasing. This is music from a guy who got his heart seriously broken and managed to make gorgeous music out of it. Favorite track: "Heart to Tell"

6. Fitz and the Tantrums: "Pickin' Up the Pieces"
White boy listens to way too much Motown and Stax, buys an old church organ, finds horn players and recruits black girl singer. I like that while the sound and arrangements are old-school, the lyrics are pure 21st-century. I've heard these guys are great live, but have yet to experience them. Favorite track: "Moneygrabber"

7. Violens: Amoral
I discovered these guys when they opened for MGMT at the National in 2008. I went up to their merch table after the show and told them I liked them better than MGMT and bought their EP. They threw in a t-shirt as a reward, I think, for my evident fandom. Ever since, I've been waiting for a full-length and this year I finally got it. Their psych-pop has a definite 60s sound to it, and often I hear a similarity to the Perniece Brothers, which is a good thing. Favorite track: "Violent Sensation Descends"

8. Good Old War: Good Old War
Because of years appreciating RVA's excellent folk scene, I have come to appreciate when unexpectedly good folk arrives from other places. Such was the case at the Dashboard Confessional show when Philly folksters GOW preceded the emo. Their sound is spare, yet full of feeling, with some of the most beautiful harmonies imaginable. Start to finish, you can just hear that these guys will make it big. Favorite track: "My Own Sinking Ship"

9. Best Coast: Crazy for You
I came to this one late, but it had my name all over it. Girl vocals, fuzzy surf guitars, lo-fi sound and purely girl emotions about unrequited love, heartbreak and patience. This CD perfectly exemplifies what I love about new music; you never know what influences a young musician is going to pull from. Favorite track: "Boyfriend"

Once again, I feel certain that my list will match no other on earth. But nothing would give me greater pleasure than discussing it with other ardent music lovers.

Any takers?

6 comments:

  1. glad your list doesn't include Kanye West

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't recognize Kanye (or Beyonce or Justin Beiber or Taylor Swift or...) if I heard them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...some observations..

    The National: "High Violet"

    there's always guys like this around, [lead singer]...full of that sad lonesome voice....that "yearning sound"..you think he has any trouble pickin' up girls? ...probably not..

    Beach House: "Teen Dream"

    ...nice trax', tasteful...Sub-Pop Production

    Kings go Forth: "the Outsiders are Back"

    ...WHAT A RETRO SOUND!! Makes me want to go back to high school & dance in the gym with my favorite girl...still remember her perfume. i'm in love/lust again!! who doesn't like this sound?? Wish I'd seen them at Balliceaux.

    Yeasayer: "Odd Blood"

    ...you got to love their youthfulness, wit---loved the intros..an electronic Ben Folds...ok maybe not a good comparison...hey !! lay off..i like Ben Fo...


    Love Language:

    "Libraries"- Yep you're right... pur' freewheelin' sound...don't like this?? what's your problem...?


    Fitz & the Tantrums:"Pickin'up the Pieces"

    ..nope..sure not poco..but you're right...nothing to add...Yes..what are they like in concert??


    Violens: "Amora"

    Tears for Fears meets The Cars...flushes of keyboards..nice harmonies. Why does this remind me of the flip side of a Bell & Sebastian ep...or what could have been the opposite of " I Want the World to Stop!!".. don't we all... well maybe...sometimes..oh well...never.


    Good Old War: Ditto

    ..Three guys making music...wish it was springtime..hop on my ten speed..go for a spin..


    Best Coast: "Crazy for You"

    Yes!!.. lo-fi & surfer guitar... dear to my heart..every boy's wet dream...a tough sweet girl dreaming of him...bright optimistic.. what else do you want?? Why can't life be like this.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool that you took the time to listen to them all.

    Each made me happy or satisfied something in me this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice list. I knew National's "vocals in a cave" sound would be at the top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you hadn't, i would have been disappointed in our friendship.

    ReplyDelete