Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Dripping Butter at Ettamae's

I'm the instigator type, mainly because I am always looking for someone to do things with me. So I'm usually the one who reaches out, extends the invitations, suggests fun stuff.

The only problem with being that way is that, after a while, you begin to wonder if people only do things with you because you ask. So if I stop asking, will they make the effort with me? Not always.

It happened a year ago with a couple of friends and, without my attention, the friendships faded. Recently I resolved to give a friend room and stop extending invitations in case he was just saying yes to be polite.

And I hadn't heard from him in over a month until today when he IM'd me out of the blue, saying he missed me. I explained that I had backed off, leaving him room to contact me if he was so inclined, and since he hadn't, I had made certain presumptions.

He wanted to get together soon and I asked if he'd had lunch today. He hadn't so we plotted to meet at Ettamae's in twenty minutes. I asked if I needed to wear a nametag so he would recognize me. He called me a ballbuster.

The mid-fifties temperature made it a lovely day for lunch out, or practically anything outside. When I got to Second Street, Matt and Laura of Ettamae's were outside taking in the sunshine, so I stopped to chat. I was curious about whether they had plans to start opening for dinner once the Hippodrome opens.

Silly me. The application for their ABC license was right there in the window. I'm excited to think that people who haven't been to Ettamae's yet may finally make the effort for dinner if they're coming down to see a show. Come to J-Ward, people; we don't bite!

Just as good to hear was that they're planning on doing more musical brunches, like the one I'd so enjoyed, here. Especially with a liquor license, I can see their brunches filling up fast; it's not a big place.

All I'm going to say is that they have the best corned beef hash in town because Matt cooks his own corned beef, should you want a little bit of heaven on the plate with your eggs.

Because the weather was so nice, we were offered balcony seating and who can say no to that in January? With memories of childhood Friday dinners swimming in my head, I couldn't resist the salmon cake on a kaiser roll and went the "three-sweet" route with chips and dessert.

My long-lost friend got the chicken, sausage, rice and veggie soup and a salad with a cinnamon roll. Our server asked if he wanted the cinnamon roll with his meal. He said he did, but he'd wait and have it afterwards.

The enormous salmon cake was even better than the memory of my grandmother's because it was moister and better seasoned (Matt -1, New Grandma-0).

With sauce, some mixed greens and sliced tomato, I couldn't imagine a tastier sandwich to be eating in the sunshine of the balcony this afternoon. Friend raved abut the soup, but didn't give me a bite; I guess that says something, too.

For dessert, I had the chocolate cookie with fig jam filling. The jam is locally made by Nana's and the cookie had stripes of chocolate icing on top.

It was a delicious and unique combination of flavors and I didn't give my friend a bite because he was too busy talking about why he hadn't been calling me. Blah, blah, to quote his IM. To his credit, though, he did tell me in all seriousness that, "An excuse is a reason wrapped in a lie." As long as we're clear on that.

Fortunately, though, his cinnamon roll was big (but not in that obscene Cinnabon way) and he must have been feeling guilty, so he kindly offered me a piece of the outside. I spread its crusty, warm, cinnamon goodness with a huge amount of butter and began eating.

Within seconds, melted butter was dripping down my hand and wrist and into the sleeve of my shirt, something everyone should experience while eating a warm cinnamon roll.

For that matter, everyone should experience a sunny lunch on a balcony in January. Everyone should experience Matt's corned beef. Everyone should experience Jackson Ward.

The list, like me, goes on and on.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Karen, you forgot to mention the fabulous dress you were wearing! Still the best legs in JW, girl! - Love Matt and Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not everyone appreciates a vintage 60s-era corduroy jumper like you do.

    And thanks! Somebody's got to use their legs to represent J-Ward; might as well be me.

    ReplyDelete