Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Lunch Lecture: Talk Grouse, Think Dog

If you go to a science lecture, you will be given wine. At least that's how it worked out today the Science Museum's Lunch Break Science lecture.

Speaking on the science of wine were Jason Tesauro, Sommelier and Marketing Director at Barboursville Vineyards and Luca Paschina, winemaker of same. I took a seat in the front row and the guy nearest me immediately struck up a conversation about Chateau Morrisette, a winery I've never visited.

He recommended CM wines, specifying vintages, told me about the winery dogs and warned me about the scenic overlook's precipice, saying, "You'll feel like you're at the edge of the earth."

A person could be forgiven for thinking that I have "Talk to me" tattooed on my forehead (and even if I did it would be under my bangs) given the speed with which I end up talking to strangers sometimes.

Jason led the charge with a talk about using new technology in winemaking including NDVI (normalized difference vegetation index, a technique based on GPS), ground penetration radar (peeking into the earth for clues rather than waiting for centuries to figure it out) and sap flow technology (how thirsty is the plant really?). It was a lot of science for the non-scientific among us.

I had to laugh when he qualified all his technology talk by insisting that it wasn't for the purpose of creating 'Frankenwine' because, "You can use all these tools and still produce lousy wine." It was reassuring to hear that even the most sophisticated technology will never replace boots on the ground.

Luca's talk was an acknowledgement that technology has its place, but history has proven that the old ways have worked for centuries. He cited France as a place that has collected so much wine-making experience that no technology could compete with what has been gleaned by mere mortals.

I'd met Luca before, but was reminded today why he's such an interesting guy. Like me, he doesn't have a TV but unlike me. he goes grouse-hunting. Somehow hearing that made me think of hot dogs and I made a snap decision to have one after the lesson was over (grouse, hot dogs, I can't explain it).

I especially related to his warning to be careful about how we process scientific fact and technology; he said it's the responsibility of winemakers to decide how much to use. Some is worthy, some is not.

When he finished, he suggested that the floor be opened for specific questions and Jason suggested that after that they'd be open for specific wine drinking.

He stood and asked how many in the room had been to a Virginia winery and fully three quarters of the audience raised their hands. Gesturing to Luca, he said, "Preacher, choir." True that.

During our practicum to reinforce the lessons of the lecture, they poured two quintessential Virginia grapes, Viognier and Cabernet Franc for our sipping pleasure. Most attendees went with one or the other but I saw no need to limit my learning experience.

As we were milling about with our wine cup(s), apropos of nothing, my seatmate asked if I'd heard about the new hot dog place in the West End.

I'm not quite sure how he'd managed to read my mind, but I told him that I hadn't but was already planning on lunch at City Dogs after this. Turns out he didn't even know about the Fan location, so I was able to enlighten him before heading directly there.

One of the distinguishing features of City Dogs is how male-dominated its customer base always is, but when I walked in today, there were two other female customers. I was amazed.

After ordering my Tennessee Dog (mustard, onions, chili and cole slaw), I acknowledged as much to my server, the servers usually being the only other females in the place.

"I know, we wonder about that every day," she said. She thought women might worry about calories, although as she pointed out, the soy dog is only 60 calories ("Yea, but that's not a real hot dog," I said and she agreed wholeheartedly).

Since we're both big hot dog lovers (her favorite is the Santa Fe Dog with salsa, cheese, jalapenos, guacamole and tortilla chips), we couldn't quite get our heads around how women could pass up the pleasures of a good dog.

Could be that neither of us is a very good representation of our sex. Now that's a real possibility, at least for me.

And I'm okay with that as long as it means I get to keep inhaling a hot dog or two when the mood strikes. You know, like when someone mentions grouse hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment