Friday, November 12, 2010

Telling All at Edo's

If I say my friend and I about froze to death during lunch and left with major garlic breath, can you guess where we ate? Of course that would be everyone's favorite Edo's Squid (everyone does not include me; favorite is a mighty big word), an easy walk from work for her.

This lunch was a rescheduling of last week's postponed happy hour, which was a makeup for the week before's canceled plans. She's a really good friend, knows all the skeletons in my closet and we both feel so much better after getting together.

By this time, we should also know better than to try to cover multiple weeks' worth of life during lunch, even one that lasts two hours...especially without wine (which she actually ordered but the waiter forgot).

I was first there when she breezed in, kissed me on the head, sat down and said, "Okay. What?" expectantly. I laid it out and she reacted more calmly than any of my friends so far, although with just as much surprise and delight at the news.

It's pretty obvious that every single one of my friends has been of the same opinion about my life, just waiting for me to get it. Got it!

And because she's known me for so long, she needed to know the factors that caused the change of heart. Girlfriends ask the best questions; guy friends puff up their chests and tell you they were right all along. And sometimes, sure enough, they were. You guys want me to shout it from the rooftops?

Then we ate. Lunch was crostini with white beans and arugula followed by penne with broccoli rabe, olive oil, garlic, ricotta and parmigiana. I've no doubt but I'll be sweating out garlic essence tomorrow, not that I have a problem with that (just saying I'd definitely avoid me on my walk tomorrow).

Our discussion of me finally turning a page led to an impassioned discussion of my friend needing to do the same but in other areas of her life. I'm hardly one to espouse change after being stuck in the same place for so long, but if I can step up the plate, then I know my multi-talented friend could. Me as role model? It boggles the mind.

We asked about chocolate options for dessert but given our frozen fingers, chocolate gelato held little appeal. Friend requested hot tea or decaf, neither of which they had, so we settled for tiramisu. And by settled, I mean enjoyed while discussing the importance of moving toward getting what you ultimately want.

Now that I've identified that, I can join in the discussion, garlic breath and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment