Thursday, November 4, 2010

Double Jinx at Garnett's Cafe

I don't know if there's a cozier place than Garnett's on a rainy day. It already feels like you're having lunch in someone's snug kitchen and the rain outside just emphasizes the comfort factor.

So after working all morning, I was headed over in the downpour to meet a friend, jabber and have some lunch.

And I wasn't a bit surprised to find the place full up except for a couple of seats at the counter, one of which I slid in to. A guy at the end of the bar was reading a book. The older couple behind me were chowing down in silence.

Seated next to me was the afternoon/evening cook who'd decided to come in early and hang out until his shift began, so he was happily sketching until his turn in the kitchen. "I couldn't think of anyplace better to be on a day like this," he explained. What he said.

Once again I fell victim to their fabulous Cobb salad (every salad should have bacon, don't you think?) and my friend and I dove into our latest news. Hers was monumental and exciting at the same time. Unlike me, she is no longer available.

The funny part of that, as I told her, is that twice in recent days, I had been talking to friends (couple friends, of course) about how one by one, all my long-time available friends have been pairing up.

Which is a good thing and I'm happy for them all. But both times, I'd mentioned that I at least still had one close friend in the same boat I'm in. One person who didn't automatically have a date for everything.

"Thank you!" she laughed. "You jinxed me right into being taken!"

Now that I know I have that power, I just have to figure out how to jinx myself.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,
    Love your blog and love Lush Life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you do a really nice job with your blog.
    I volunteer with ART 180, but my paying gig is with VCU. I tweeted for VCU your blog post a few weeks ago about taking a friend's daughter/son on an unofficial campus tour.

    It was perfect. I wish our tour guides did the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a lot of fun giving them the "insider" look at VCU.

    ReplyDelete