Thursday, November 4, 2010

Can I Show You Around?

When I'm entertaining a visitor from out of town, I try to find the right balance between catering to their taste and showing them the town my way. I like to think that I can help anyone enjoy their time in Richmond.

Yet again, I was playing host to a beer geek, but this one didn't have a prescribed list of beer places to visit, so that made it easier for me to choose some places to do double-duty.

The first stop was River City Cellars so that my visitor could custom-create a six-pack. David was doing a beer tasting of holiday micro-brews, but took time to make some recommendations to a hophead. Beer safely stowed in a plain brown bag, we slipped next door to Secco for some imbibing.

The place was in the calm-before-the-storm mode so we got the full attention of the staff, including having Karen's mix on the sound system.

My friend went straight for the Bells Two Hearted IPA while I enjoyed the Domaine Rouge Bleu "Mistral," a Southern Rhone blend not yet on the wine list but sure to be added soon. It hasn't been that long since I was happily drinking their Rose.

We were so busy catching up that we didn't even realize that the place had filled up around us. Now that all the four tops have been reduced to two-tops, the place fairly bustles with someone in every seat.

I love the European-style closeness of the tables, although clearly some people don't get it. Not that it matters because someone else is always willing to take their vacated seats the moment they stop warming them; we saw it happen more than once.

We'd lingered so long at Secco that our eating options were limited to someplace quick and good; the obvious choice was 821, although I did have to explain to the out-of-towner why 821 is located at 825. There's a story to everything in this town.

We'd barely hit our bar stools when our server asked what we wanted to drink. That we hadn't decided, but I immediately ordered my favorite black bean nachos. "You don't need to see the menu?" she asked. Actually no, and if it weren't for her being fairly new to 821, she'd have known my order on sight. Oh, it's black bean nacho girl again.

My friend's heartier appetite dictated that we add chicken to the nachos as well and when the plate arrived, I was teased about the size of it, which I get when solo dining. But I don't finish the plate by myself and today the two of us made short work of it all.

Friend was especially impressed with the fresh-tasting salsa that accompanied the dish...and as always the cost of everything here. Visitors continue to be amazed at RVA's restaurant prices ($5 for Bells Two Hearted Ale? $3 for a draft? Really?).

After inhaling our food, we had no problem making it to Gallery 5 in time for the Silent Music Revival. Tonight's double feature was a can't-miss because Brooklyn's Ghastly City Sleep were improvising the soundtrack. And they were behind the movie screen, so all we could see of them was their busy feet.

These guys have a dark overall sound, angular vocals and powerful guitar presence; after a particularly strong guitar part, the guitarist was heard to say, "I just broke string!" from behind the screen. Not that that stopped him for a second, but it was the perfect punctuation to what we had just heard.

The first film, Diagonal Symphony, was completely abstract with lines and forms mutating as if in a time lapse. The second, Lot in Sodom, was a homo-erotic take on the biblical tale of Sodom and Gomorrah, full of dream imagery, beautiful dancing men, and fire. Given the sexuality of the film, its censoring in 1933 was hardly surprising.

Seeing it tonight with Ghastly City Sleep improvising along was pretty spectacular. There were moments when their angelic vocals so perfectly synced up with the angels on-screen as to be eerie. Other times, the intensity of the on-screen action was mirrored by their playing.

Best of all, my visitor was blown away by the concept and execution of the entire show. Welcome to Richmond, where we have free events like this. Impressed yet?

Afterwards, I suggested one last stop, but my visitor had been up since 5:15 and was ready to call it a day, at least for today.

Like I said, when I'm playing guide, I have to tailor the tours to my audience, even if it means focusing on beer or an early night for me. A good Richmond hostess aims to at least please and hopefully impress.

I only have to do part of the work and the city does the rest.

4 comments:

  1. Take them on a tour of Jeff Davis Highway. Jersey as the Dirty South.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your article in Belle and noticed you went to last year's "History of the Jewish Deli." I too was there by myself and would have loved to have met you.

    BTW, I noticed you haven't posted lately. Are you okay? Hopefully no stomach bug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just fine. Left town and for a change decided not to share.

    Thanks for noticing, though!

    ReplyDelete