Thursday, November 26, 2009

Bark Park in the Fog

I loved how foggy it was this morning when I was out walking and where better to see fog than from above?

The beagle and I had been wanting to check out the new Bark Park at Chimborazo (one of my favorite city spots anyway) and I was guessing the view of the fog would be great from that vantage point.

And it was.

One of the best parts of the new dog park is the winding walk you take to reach it; for those not so inclined, there is parking immediately by the dog park, but you'll miss some great views, fine, old stone staircases and double back paths by doing it that way.

When we arrived, there were three owners and three dogs in the large dog enclosure and none in the small.

My dog is more small than large, but there'd be no one to frolic with over there so we approached the gang, just behind another dog owner.

He got as far as inside the gate with his pooch when two of the other dogs started snarling and attacking him.

The owner was visibly upset and it took too long to get the other dogs off his. He immediately left the park, so the beagle and I decided to head over to the small dog pen just to be safe.

The light was beautiful behind the overcast sky and the fog was just rolling around below.

One of the prettiest views was of the sunlit rooftops in Fulton Bottom from that overlook. The bare-branch trees against the back lit gray sky looking toward the river were almost etching-like.

I'd brought my camera, so I took pictures of Richmond in the fog on a Thanksgiving morning while the dog sniffed his way around the fence, where he discovered some dog poop, the size of which made it clear that a very large dog had been in the wrong enclosure with a very bad owner who did not pick up after his pet. I'm just saying, it was enormous.

We really liked the new dog park and will almost certainly make it a regular destination from now on.

Looking back up the hill from it, you can see very little identifiable, so it's easy to forget where you are and just take in the view and surroundings.

As we headed out, I spotted an almost perfectly heart-shaped rock on the ground.

As I bent down to grab it, I thought how completely inappropriate it was for me to find such a thing.

And while the front was indeed a perfect heart, when I looked at the back of it, there was a big, jagged chunk taken out of it.

Ohhh, I get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment