Friday, August 2, 2013

Pigskin Proud

I did it for the family legacy.

Last night a friend had called, saying he was going to Redskin training camp around 9:30 and suggesting I join him.

Not willing to commit to that ungodly hour, I said I'd call him once up.

Up at 9:50 and fed by 10:20, I called, only to hear him say, "I'm at training camp. Can't talk."

Click.

So technically, I was off the hook.

But then there was that pesky family history.

Despite having five sisters, I was raised in a Redskins-loving family.

So much so that we got season tickets in 1962, back when no one cared about the team.

Want proof?

Our tickets are on the 50-yard line behind the Redskins' bench, ten rows back.

With that kind of a view, even non-sportsy types like me could enjoy the spectacle.

So over the years, I watched more than my share of Redskins games with family, boyfriends and significant others, through the Allen and Gibbs years and a few years beyond.

It's probably been fifteen or so years since I was willing to devote a Sunday afternoon or Monday night to football, but my father ensured that, like all his daughters, I was well-grounded in the rules and strategy of the game.

You'd be surprised how that used to impress guys on a date.

Well, that and the possibility that they'd be invited to a game in our seats.

All of this is prelude to saying that, despite my friend's brusque response, I decided to extend my walk (which already encompasses part of Leigh Street) to training camp today.

As a guy in a jersey with a Redskins' bag in hand passed me, I asked if it was worth it.

"Go on!" he said with a smile, gesturing west.

So I did.

Holy rabid football fans, Batman!

I was a tad overwhelmed at the stench the number of sweaty bodies in polyester jerseys  the sheer number of people roasting in the sun, either watching the field or shopping at one of the many kiosks.

I walked the length of the field, taking in the fans in chairs on the hill, dodging the puddles from yesterday's deluge in the gravel walk and wondering why any parents think it's a good idea to bring small children to something bound to bore them and make them cranky.

Frankly, the whole thing reminded me of the State Fair without the rides.

But I am nothing if not my father's daughter, so I found a place along the sidelines and watched the players scrimmage under a sunny blue sky.

I appreciated the fact that they continuously moved their practice up and downfield to afford the fans on either side a good view at some point.

Now, that's playing fair.

But what really matters is that I went and I watched practice.

Dad is going to be so pleased to hear that.

2 comments:

  1. Don't you hate when you are in line and the person at the checkout is talking on the phone? I had waited 10 minutes in line to purchase my training camp t shirt and when does "on and on" call (not while I was idle)? At the exact moment when I am interacting with the person taking my money. Brusque shmusque. I called back 3 minutes later...but no answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three minutes later I was on my way to training camp! Sorry I couldn't find you in the sea of burgundy and gold, but you know I still love you, Anonymous!

    P.S. For the record,I hate when people talk on the phone ANYWHERE except in the privacy of their own homes, but then I'm a Luddite.

    ReplyDelete