Monday, August 5, 2013

No Risk Roulette

Nothing like a neighborhood restaurant for lunch with a friend.

Walking into Comfort, he summed it up for both of us with, "It's been ages since I've been here, but nothing changes here."

That's why it's so comforting, my dear.

He knew he wanted a burger and I knew I wanted a salad, but it was the wine list that charmed me.

"Feeling adventurous? Play wine roulette! Get something random!"

I love a bossy menu.

Who could resist a wine list with such verve and humor?

Not me, that's for sure.

The list read like a set of trade-offs, bracketed by helpful information.

If you like XYZ, described as this and that, then try ABC.

So, if you like chardonnay (rich, white), try this Marsanne/Viognier blend.

If you like Sauvignon Blanc (citrusy, thirst-quenching), try Muscat.

For me, that meant trying the Grange Phillips "Gipsy," a fruity and smooth syrah rose ideally suited to a summer day lunch with a friend.

Shoot, as if I wouldn't have chosen a Rose anyway.

Of course, with my friend, he likes a chardonnay so he ordered a chardonnay.

No wine roulette for him.

Over discussion of hotels (The Rittenhouse versus the Jefferson), "Othello" at Agecroft ("I didn't even fall asleep," he bragged about how much he'd enjoyed the production) and how challenging his job gets, I ate through a chef salad piled high with roasted turkey and country ham.

Other tables filled up around us in the sunny dining room as we wiled away a couple of hours sipping wine, sharing a chocolate mousse and dishing about some Richmond types we despise.

Oh, the pleasures of an unexpected Monday lunch with a friend.

Comforting and close to home.

Oh, right, this is Richmond roulette. No bullets, just easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment