Friday, November 16, 2012

Crazy Enough

Alright, so I'm a little late to the Bombolini party.

But after yet another friend raved about her lunch there, I found myself a lunch buddy to check it out.

Walking down Main Street, I ran into my favorite line cook, who raved about the sandwiches, mentioning the "crazy" hours.

Not so crazy. Every day but Sunday, open at 11 and closed by 6 or 7.

The first order of business on arrival was checking out the market portion of the place.

That meant tasting housemade vinegars (the Cabernet Franc and the Vioginer vinegars). seeing which wines and olives they had.

I'm not a pasta person, but after pasta in Italy, I am paying a little more attention.

Whole wheat made me happy, as did spinach and I know a couple of people who are no doubt thrilled with gluten-free options.

I especially enjoyed seeing a pasta machine cranking out spirals of fussili with the afternoon light shining from through south-facing glass.

It seemed so productive while those of us in the shop seemed to be in a Friday mood.

Pressed sandwiches were procured and paninis of turkey and Cuban pork and iced tea were taken to one of the small tables just outside the front door.

Friend had been right about the food.

One of the guys from the shop came out and told us we had the sweet spot for that neo-patio space this time of year.

He wasn't telling us anything we hadn't figured out, instead saying it in a convivial, "wish I could join you" sort of way.

What a nice little party.

No comments:

Post a Comment