Saturday, September 17, 2011

Now Playing, But Not for Long

As a film lover who rarely sees a mainstream movie, my blood ran cold when I read the latest online:

"Can't believe they are closing the West Hampton Theater. Richmond is now a city without an arthouse cinema. Apparently the sale was finalized in August. They are planning to turn it into shops and a restaurant. They have films booked through next month or so. Don't know when the last day is."

With the exception of going to the Bowtie for a Movies and Mimosas classic feature, I see all my films at the Wetshampton.

It's where I first saw "Gone With the Wind" when I came to Richmond. And where I saw "Fahrenheit 911" on opening day.

It's where I've seen every Woody Allen and Pedro Almodovar movie since 1993.

Where else could I reliably see foreign language films and documentaries and other non-Hollywood films?

A West End friend had told me back in June that he'd heard a rumor that it was being sold, but neither of us could believe that it might really happen.

Apparently now it has and I couldn't be sadder about it.

So I did what any arthouse-loving person would do and told another film-goer and we immediately headed to the Westhampton, as we have countless other weekend afternoons.

"The Guard" has an incredibly smart script, the dialog is witty as hell, the music is by Calexico and the Irish accents are thick as molasses in January (and forget understanding the Gaelic speakers; they had subtitles for them).

It wasn't hard for me to see why it had been such a crowd-pleaser at Sundance.

As the credits came up and John Beaver's cover of "Leaving on a Jet Plane" began, I couldn't help but savor the experience of a Westhampton movie experience.

When we'd sat through five trailers before the movie, I found myself wondering if I'd ever get to see the films being previewed.

The South African film "Life, Above All" about women's issues and AIDS doesn't seem a likely candidate for the multiplex.

Likewise, will "Anonymous" about the controversy of whether or not Shakespeare was a fraud play in RVA? I don't know.

Afterwards, I asked a couple of theater employees if the rumors were true. They claimed not to know and suggested I contact corporate headquarters.

In other words, yes.

I understand what demographic they're trying to attract with "The Avenues," but I can't comprehend how a few more shops and eateries will be worth sacrificing a landmark movie palace like the Westhampton.

Richmond has a vibrant film scene and surely a non-profit theater would have been a better use for that theater over more boutiques and panini joints.

All I can do is keep seeing movies at the Westhampton until they lock the doors and take away the projector.

We tried to ease the sense of impending loss at Pearl's afterwards but even my favorite cupcake, the Pearl Gone Cocoa (chocolate cake with white icing and a mound of coconut), couldn't make me feel better today.

Richmond, don't we know better than to let the irreplaceable go?

9 comments:

  1. reat place. one of my favourite things on Richmond.

    i saw Neil Young's Heart of Gold there....seven times...in a row.

    Ms. Browder (the manager) gave me the large movie poster. which i gave to Melina Lagios..."my sis"

    we saw it there together. i have the cute, tiny version of that poster. every time i look at it, i think od the cold weather on Grove Avenue...i like it when it's cold, and the street lights and posts have ribbons on them...and the trees are stripped down, to look like tall, lanky soldiers, all in a perfect row...headed towards the city. always had the best view of the winter right in front of The West Hampton.

    sad news that it will leave us one day. let's go see a movie. let;s get a bunch of people...one last ride!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those shops haven't been doing too well in the recession because they are so upscale. Stupid Regal. I worked at the defunct Ridge in college and used to go to the Westhampton and the also-gone Willow Lawn for free all the time because they had the best movies. I will say I hated how some movies stayed too long and others barely lasted a week; it was poorly run, probably due to Regal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THE BYRD THE BYRD THE BYRD.

    Instead of sobbing about the Westhampton you should be talking about saving the Byrd as it could easily fill the shoes of this uppity and out-of-reach-for-most-of-richmonds-art-community theater.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where will I see a film? The rest just show movies

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Anonymous,
    I've been to almost every fundraiser the Byrd Foundation has put on. I bought a ticket for the upcoming "A Night with the Mighty Wurlitzer" with organist Cameron Carpenter for $35. How many fundraisers have you attended?

    The Byrd is a landmark theater, no question, but they have chosen to be a second run theater, so there's no hope of seeing art or foreign films there.

    And why was the Westhampton out of reach for anybody? Tickets cost the same as any other first-run movie theater.

    Clearly you haven't read any of my prior posts or you'd have known what a huge Byrd supporter I am. That doesn't mean I can't mourn the loss of the Westhampton. They didn't compete and both are assets to RVA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY HOLY HELL. this is terrible news.

    shit. i'm sorry, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sad to read this.
    And an excellent response to Anonymous.

    :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. This city just doesn't get it.I left 30 years ago and just moved back, no change.You have to drive way out to no mansland to go clothes shopping and the only movie theater within a several miles is a renovated barn.Bowtie.Sorry to see Westhampton go.No variety .Burning up too much gas in this city.

    ReplyDelete