Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Did I Say That Out Loud?

The world's gone mad when I can arrive at the Camel at 8:45 and have missed the first band.

Part of the problem may have been making a stop at Stella's to meet a girlfriend for a quickie.

In a truly odd moment, as I was walking toward the front door, an SUV pulled up to turn around and the driver looked at me and said, "Karen!"

I have no earthly idea who he was and he proceeded to backed up and drove away.

Why does anything still surprise me?

It was a good thing we wanted to sit at the bar because every table was in use or reserved. Yes, every single one.

Stella, are you putting crack in the spanikopita or what?

Someone had drunk up all the rose, so I got the 2009 Boutari Moschoflero after inhaling its lovely floral nose and tasting its full bodied intensity.

I'm on a mission to build my Greek grape vocabulary, both literally and figuratively speaking.

It was so busy in there that my friend inadvertently gave two different food orders to two different servers while waiting for me to make up my mind.

It didn't matter.

As one server said, "Somebody else will want what you didn't and we'll just give it to them."

No doubt there are restaurants that would kill for that kind of crazy busy-ness.

I ordered a heartier-sounding meze, namely the lamb frites. Hearty doesn't begin to describe it.

A pile of thick-cut steak fries was smothered in sliced leg of lamb, tons of onion (both white and green), Feta and Manouri cheese.

It arrived in all its glory, looking like a $10 heart attack on a plate.

I'm not going to claim I ate it all but I will say there was no lamb or onions at all left when I pushed it away.

My friend insisted we get the chocolate hazelnut baklava for which I had limited capacity given my disdain for honey, which I find cloying. Two bites sufficed.

I'd warned my friend that I had limited time and a show to see and I was out of there in what I thought was plenty of time to drive the short distance.

Wrong.

I arrived to find that the three-band bill had expanded to four and that the first band, Snowy Owls, had already played.

Color me surprised...and disappointed.

Fortunately Marionette was up next and although their set was too short (chop, chop, four bands!), they played a new song and a strong set.

I've been a fan for years now and I appreciate the evolution of their sound from a six-piece to a four-piece with more emphasis on the band's impeccable instrumentation.

Lots of friends were there and there's still plenty of Wye Oak talk going around with attendees still savoring and non-attendees still kicking themselves.

I savored.

Next up was Brother William from Mechanicsville.

The big draw was Hotel Lights, a quintet fronted by the former drummer for Ben Folds Five, Darren Jessee,a fact that may have attracted some people.

I found myself attracted to their sound which never strayed far from something achingly sad yet beautiful, even when upbeat and rocking.

Let's just say haunting.

How can I rave about their sound? Let me count the ways.

The layers of synths, the post-punk electric guitar, the minimalist drumming, the rhythmic bass and always Darren's gentle voice.

"This song began at Patrick Henry's and moved on to Poe's," he told us, reminding the crowd of their Richmond connection.

By the time they'd finished creating an atmosphere that washed over the room, their set was over, but the crowd was having none of it.

Calling for one more, the band obliged with two and we were treated to a little more exquisite sadness that was all the more moving for knowing it was about to end.

As all Tuesday nights must end.

It's only those twenty five minutes I'll never get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment