Saturday, September 10, 2011

Art and Gnocchi Make the World Go Round

I've learned that beginning my evening with art all but guarantees a superior follow-up.

The Anderson Gallery was opening a new show, "Environment and Object," a show of contemporary African art.

It was the kind of contemporary art that makes you forget about where the artists are from. The kind that speaks to global issues and recycled materials.

The kind that reassures an art lover that creative people are still making statements and creating beauty even in the 21st century.

Witness Garth Meyers, a South African whose black and white photographs border on the abstract.

His shots of forest scenes  acknowledge the lines of the forest and the shapes of it, in a way that makes as much of an artistic statement as a document of a living place.

Cheri Samba's "Fighting Mosquitoes" comes across as street art, with a couple fighting off the pesky insects in their bedroom (using a bow and arrow and slingshot).

The acrylic piece seeks to spread the truth (Malaria kills more people than AIDS) but with a humorous message.

"My dear, kill those on the right while I battle the lefists," says the caption.

Of all the compelling pieces in the exhibit, the one I vote for purchase by the VMFA would be Sokari Douglas Camp's sculpture of a woman shooting a rifle in her mouth.

Her chest and face are covered in pink paint. The piece, a commentary on oil greed and militant violence in the Nigerian Delta, is striking for its presence and message.

You can't not look at it.

Congolese Sammy Baloj was quickly passed over by younger visitors who perhaps could not see the weight of his photographs.

Former mines were shot in color and over them were superimposed images of Belgian colonial administrators and Congo prisoners in black and white.

The juxtaposition of another generation of the ruling and enslaved people of the Congo over the mine ruins today was a stark reminder of the perils of colonization in a time before us.

Leaving the gallery after such a heady look at African art, I must have looked pleased, or satisfied maybe just open to anything.

Walking down Franklin Street to my car, a student in a group of four smiled and said hello.

Moments later, a man enthusiastically greeted me., followed by a group of three, all of whom said good evening.

Non-scientific studies have now shown that viewing art makes you more attractive to the opposite sex.

Next on my dance card was Rowland's to meet friends, including my girlfriend's out-of-town beau.

They were running late, so the other couple and I proceeded to start the party without them.

We stuck our heads in the kitchen to say hello to Virginia and Bruce, owners and chefs, before settling on a table because the bar was mobbed.

My friends were on their way to the VMFA party with Richard Branson (I opted out, $100 a ticket being too rich for my blood) and dressed in their Bygones best to impress.

For dinner, I tried Virginia's ceviche over half a baked sweet potato, a surprisingly complementary combination.

When our friend arrived with her man in tow, we did a round of introductions before settling in to chat.

The poor guy had just spent four hours driving soul-sucking 95 from Baltimore, so we made sure he got a cocktail pronto.

After hearing about him from my friend for nearly a year, it was fun to finally get the opportunity to chat with him and get a sense of who he is.

You want your friends to find good people to share their lives and my friend has succeeded beautifully.

It made me happy to enjoy the company of someone who makes her so happy.

All of a sudden it was the bewitching hour and they were off to the VMFA ("Wanna try to sneak in?" my friend asked) and I was off to the Roosevelt.

I'd never ventured in on a weekend night, having heard stories of long waits and big crowds, but it was after 10:30, so I figured I was safe.

One lonely stool at the end of the bar awaited me, but I was immediately greeted by one of my favorite musician/bartenders who had just recently made the switch to the Roosevelt.

His former employer wasn't thrilled, but as he said, "Baby's gotta have new shoes."

This is one guy who never fails to crack me up or satisfy my need to talk music.

It was the perfect chance to give him a hard time for not having let me know...and order some Barboursville Viognier.

He went back to being a worker be and just as I turned for my wine, a musician friend showed up at the bar.

It had been ages since we saw each other; he'd been on tour, we 'd missed each other at the last Sprout show and I was thrilled to unexpectedly see him.

He invited me to join him and another friend at their table, starting a three-hour conversation sitting on one of the pillows I'd made and enjoying my friends.

Because food is my weakness (well, one of many) I couldn't resist ordering the gnocchi mac and cheese style, a dish that continues to thrill everyone who tastes it.

I can only imagine how much more popular it'll become once colder weather hits.

My friend got the chocolate Coca-Cola cake and generously shared. My, my but that was a delicious thing and so Southern tasting.

To balance out the hormones at the table, my girlfriend joined us and I made the introductions.

Since she used to work in the music business and be in a band, I got to hear lots of  stories from Richmond's musical past, always fun for me.

She asked if I'd tried the new tequila, Hussong's Reposado which came in what looked like a black stoneware moonshine jug, complete with thumb holder.

I decided to forsake the grape for the night for the sake of some nice woody agave.

Kind of like I'd forsaken Richard Branson for three friends who were happy to sit with me until closing time discussing anything and everything.

And they didn't charge me for the pleasure of their company.

5 comments:

  1. I know K..it is late..please accept my apology..i meant nothing negative. sometimes the written word fails to express the tone of my thoughts.

    cw

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gonna see them Fire Bisons tonight? They're playing two shows, so you have no excuse. If you weren't such a technophobe, we could coordinate something once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cw-
    I was just giving you a shout-out! No harm done. I knew what you meant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul- Don't know yet, but that's a definite possibility.

    Who're you calling a technophobe? I can use this here computer, can't I?

    ReplyDelete