Saturday, June 4, 2011

Play That Folky Music...With Cello

For a summer First Friday, the art walk had a terrific crowd. Maybe it was the beautiful weather.

Beginning at Gallery 5 for Skull Appreciation Day, the upstairs gallery was packed and hot, much hotter than the outside temperature. And I do I like it hot.

The 100+ skulls were about as varied as they could be, ranging from frilly and feminine to organic and growing. From cotton to candy to nails, skulls were covered in just about everything imaginable.

Downstairs, the Girls Rock! RVA exhibit showcased works inspired by women, including photographer/musician Micheal Otley's pictures of female musicians and singers in mid-performance. Sometimes men really are the best interpreters of women.

Since ADA Gallery was closed (coming soon and it better be good) and I'd already seen the excellent show at Ghostprint, I headed to Metro Gallery for their group show with a DJ from RVAlution's Dance Party spinning it loud.

I had the pleasure of running into all kinds of people I knew, including the gentleman farmer whom I intend to write about.

Art 6's Juneteenth exhibit was a timely collection of photographs from the Valentine showing 19th century blacks at church picnics, at home, at an emancipation parade and at school, among other places.  They were stunning for their veracity.

A smaller gallery held pictures from the VMFA of Africans from the 1970s, including a king in full regalia. The format was as different from the photographs as it could be and yet the visual impact just as strong.

After a brief stop at a rogue gallery with live painted models posing perfectly still, I made my way to the Courtyard for music.

Last summer I, like so many others, had felt the loss of music in the charming spot because the series had been discontinued; now it was back.

When I arrived, Lightfields was near the end of their set, playing psychedelic rock with moments drifting close to post-rock. Hmm, were these guys my cup of tea?

A friend said they were a bit jam band-like, but I heard one song I liked and one I could leave, so I can't really say. I was sorry to have missed a cover of "Killing Moon," though.

I was happy to have run into a couple of music geeks friends and set up camp with them. We were there for Chapel Hill's Birds and Arrows, a band I first saw last September at Gallery 5.

That had been an excellent show and why not; the band's combination of amplified acoustic guitar, drums and cello were the perfect sound for some beautiful harmonies.

And unlike at that last show, tonight we were outside, in a courtyard with a painted mural, no humidity and a gentle breeze wafting down from the sky. No folky band could have ordered up a lovelier evening to play.

Lead singer Andrea at one point instructed the crowd, "Use your inner geek and clap along to folk music" and the crowd obliged.

There were pop quizzes and prizes given ("What was Wild Cherry's 1970s hit?" which I knew, but shared the information with a friend rather than the group), including blankets, t-shirts and records. It was a homey touch.

After the show, we stood around chatting with other friends until we were invited to a favorite music couple's nearby condo  (the Emrick Flats were barely a block away) for drinks and nibbles.

Once there, we settled into a satisfying discussion of the local music scene, our hopes for the Hippodrome, Floyd Fest, genital piercing and batteau racing.

A woman who gives house shows because she loves music told us stories of ranting landlords and memorable music (A Good Natured Riot made more at her house than they did at Ashland Coffee & Tea. Sad).

I was excited to hear that some of the upcoming Listening Room shows will be curated by local musicians (a la All Tomorrow's Parties and an idea I adore). Brilliant!

As we sat there, a mixed group of people, some of us meeting for the first time, I was again reminded of how welcoming and interesting the local scene is.

Art walking became music standing and ended with conversation sitting.

Best of all, I never left the 'hood. Jackson Ward had it all, making J-Ward girl a happy person tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment