Saturday, June 4, 2011

New to Brunch? Follow Me

A great restaurant review will usually keep me away from a place for months.

No sense competing with the herds; it's easier to steer clear until the dust settles.

But then a group of us wanted to go to brunch today and it was such a beautiful day for a walk and Ettamae's has such a tasty brunch and so I just said damn the review and off we went.

As I suspected, with Broad Appetit tomorrow, brunch in J-Ward wasn't nearly as crowded as usual.

Every table on the patio was taken naturally, but I never mind sitting in the charming pink dining room, now much cooler with improvements in the a/c system.

Two of our party were completely new to Ettamae's and one had had dinner, so brunch was virgin territory for all three. Not so me, of course.

I always recommend Matt's corned beef, so one went the corned beef hash and eggs, another with one of today's specials, the stuffed French toast with mixed berries and cream cheese, and the third with the silver dollar pancakes, a menu staple with good reason.

Me, I was ready for lunch and took advantage of the roasted chicken salad over mesclun with some good looking tomato slices.

I love steering people to Ettamae's corned beef because I always get thanked for it. The four triangles of French toast were almost as thick as a club sandwich and got raves all around the table. The silver dollars were apparently as light as a feather.

By the time we went downstairs to pay, all three were converts to Ettamae's brunch (and about damn time, I say).

I couldn't help but ask co-owner Laura if the recent review had brought the suburbanites out of the woodwork; it had, she admitted.

My guess was that they handle coming to Jackson Ward the same way they do going to Carver to the Black Sheep.

That is, they drop off the women-folk right in front of the restaurant while the manly men park the over-sized vehicle and bravely walk the block to the restaurant. I got an affirmative on that.

But once inside, Laura says they squeal over how cute the place is and I know for a fact that they must enjoy the food because it's consistently terrific.

And it pleases me no end to have people come to my neighborhood, whether timidly or boldly, and spend money.

Even better if they decide to take a walk and check out its historic beauty after eating.

Jackson Ward: It's not just for First Fridays anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment