Monday, May 31, 2010

Restaurant Revelry at the River

So happy I was invited
Give me a reason to get out of the city
~The National "Lemonworld"

A friend who works at Tarrant's gave me a reason to get out of the city today when he invited me to join him and the rest of the restaurant staff, not to mention part of Bistro 27's staff, for a cookout on Mobjack Bay.

Their tradition is to close Tarrant's for Memorial Day and spend it at the river and I was happy to be part of that.

When my friend came to pick me up, he spotted a book in my bag.

 "You're bringing a book? You, the person who never met a stranger?" he mocked me.

I wasn't sure what to expect and it's a really good book (The Wild Vine) , but given a game plan of eat, drink, frolic, it did seem extraneous now that he mentioned it.

And frolic we did, with kayaks, canoes, floats and more beverages than a group of 100 should be able to consume.

Meats of all kinds were being cooked practically non-stop by Carlos, but then, who better than a Brazilian to do meat?

I started with a steak, but after a while I just did what the smart ones did and hung around the grill, snagging pre-cut pieces of whatever was fresh off the grill and put onto the platter.

It was a lot like the man meat dinner I attended a couple of years ago: course after course of endless meat.

Only the source animal, degree of doneness and seasonings changed.

My friend had been right about my social skills; I knew loads of people and met plenty more. In fact, my stock line of the day became, "Didn't expect to find me here, did you?"

One girl I knew greeted me with, "I'm a little tipsy already," but she loudly complimented my legs to the surrounding crowd, so I was fine with her loose lips.

Another familiar face was a former neighbor and blogging pioneer who reads my blog with a keen eye.

He particularly mentioned my response to a commenter with an attitude about my spending choices, here, seeing it for what it was: an explanation of the philosophy behind my blog.

It's satisfying to hear that there are people who read me and get me.

Like practically everyone else, we spent a fair amount of the afternoon in the water, which seemed unnaturally warm for May.

One guy, when offered the use of a kayak, declined by holding up his beer.

"Friends don't let friends drink and kayak," he proclaimed.

Unfortunately, it was walking that was his downfall and he later cut his foot on a mollusk (or so he said) and when he went to catch himself, cut his hand as well (same mollusk? I don't know).

Friends don't let friends drink and...move?

Later we ate watermelon and spit seeds, scored cookies and cannolis and listened to competing boomboxes.

Happily for me, I was nearest the one playing Daft Punk.

I gave my thumbs up to the guy who put it on and he asked, "Really, is there anyone who doesn't like Daft Punk?"

Sadly, I had to tell him about my friend Corey.

Some things are just beyond comprehension.

It was a day of good one-liners, like "Is that a seed on your ass?" topped only by "I've got corn pubes in my teeth."

Personally speaking, the highlight came after I aimed a super squirter at someone and missed.

The trio turned around to see who had such poor aim.

"Do I look like a super shot?" I shrugged.

Best line of the day directed at me: "With those bangs and those sunglasses, yea, I would have totally bought into you. Now, not so much."

Sigh.

I just need to stick to words.

14 comments:

  1. I told you it's Supper Soaker! Super is squirter is something entirely different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure if I were a crack shot, I'd have known that detail. Fail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WAIT -you have bangs??!???!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Er, yes. Did that destroy some mental image you had of me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now maybe I'm mixing up my blogs here, but I thought you also said you didn't own a single pair of jeans. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I saw you in a pair of jeans at Belvidere at Broad a few weeks ago. Bangs and jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are definitely mixing up your blogs here. I own no jeans and you will never see me in them (or any pants, for that matter). It must have been someone else.

    What made you think it was me by the way? And why would you not have said hello if you did think it was me?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Process of elimination. I was at Belvidere at Broad and then read after the fact that you were there at the same time. I tried to remember everyone sitting at the bar and the only likely candidate (or so I thought!) was wearing jeans. I'm clearly confused. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. When trying to identify me, you can always eliminate anyone with her legs covered. Doesn't happen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i took friends to that same BBQ (my landlord) - i think a dolphin swam under the kayak

    was the cook from 27?

    i knew about a dozen people there - of the others, i THINK i know which one was you

    BTW, i've took a very unusual pic from that dock proving that monsters do exist

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Carlos is from 27. Why didn't you say hello if you thought it was me? I don't bite and you might have enjoyed talking to me. It's a possibility.

    ReplyDelete
  11. had no idea you'd be at the same BBQ so far from the neighborhood - but i do remember someone sitting next to the grill

    if ever i run into u ill show u the photo i took of "Gojira" in Mobjack Bay (unless you see it in the National Enquirer first)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's not often I leave the city, but it does happen (like tonight).

    Do show me your pictures if you ever bother to speak to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Karen, id be happy to say hi but ive no idea who you are

    ReplyDelete
  14. With any luck, maybe we'll end up at the same event again. Just rule out all the females who wear pants/jeans,, jewelry,, perfume or have a cell phone. What's left is me.
    How easy is that?

    ReplyDelete