Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Old Ladies Need Tongue, Too (Apparently)

As I was doing my walk on Grace Street this morning, a guy yelled at me from behind, "Hey, do you run the 10K?"

Not even slowing down, I shook my head no and kept on.

Just my luck, he was on a bike, so he pulled up beside me.

"Why not?" he asked.

"I'm a walker, not a runner," I told him.

He went on to say that he always goes to watch the 10K and the marathon, that he's fascinated by the sheer number of people who participate.

"Last year I saw 21 people throw up during the race," he bragged. "I used to be in nursing training, so I know how hard it is on your body to do that and sometimes you just puke."

Good to know.

"Did you hear about that 88-year old that ran last year?" he inquired.

I hadn't.

"Yea, after she finished she came up to me and asked if she could hug a young man to celebrate finishing, so I told her sure."

Clearly young is in the eye of the beholder because this guy had to at least 50.

"After she hugged me, she gave me a big old kiss," he over-shared. "Would you believe she slipped me the tongue?"

Good god, I didn't want to hear this, although I gave the guy credit.

He probably made that woman's day and for all I know, he may have given her tongue back.

Still, I picked up my pace.

From behind I heard him say, "Nice talking to you. I'm turning here. Have a great day!"

I'm actually a very normal-looking person.

I will never understand what it is about me that causes people to say the things they do to me.

On the other hand, my walks are seldom dull.

4 comments:

  1. Actually, you're not a very normal looking person. You walk with confidence, or at least a sense of purpose. Take a look at how most people drag and lop about.

    You also have an open to anything look about you (it's probably that cute grin of yours or the ready smile) that is so apparent that people, especially men, think they can walk up to you and say anything and you'll respond. And you usually do, whereas a lot of women would give them the brush off and not think twice about it.

    I hope you haven't forgotten what I told you about these men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've told me so many things about these men!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your headline for this missive, I was certain you were going to wax poetic about a beef tongue sandwich you had for lunch. The 'old ladies need tongue, too (apparently),' I thought was another of your self-deprecating bon mots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I don't know how long you've ben reading my blog, but I certainly hope you haven't completely figured me out yet! Glad I was able to surprise you then.

    And btw, self-deprecating bon mots are what I aim for, so thanks for noticing.

    ReplyDelete