Monday, May 10, 2010

And Who Doesn't Like Cake?

I didn't go to Avalon for romance; I went to meet a good friend for a glass of wine and some nerdy conversation (I got both).

The romance part came when a casual friend, one whom I've known for ten years but haven't seen in the past turbulent year showed up.

It was great to see her and while my wine friend stepped outside for a smoke break, she and I played catch-up.

As it turns out, she was meeting friends to celebrate; her divorce was final today.

The fact that she was celebrating represented progress because she wasn't the catalyst for the divorce.

It was one of those unfortunate instances when a wife arrives home unexpectedly only to discover her husband in flagrante delicto; the kicker was that he was with merely one of a string of chippies.

So snap!

Just like that, more than a decade of marriage out the window.

And just to be clear here, my friend is a very talented artist and photographer, not to mention smart, funny and gorgeous.

I say this as a friend, but I only wish I had a fraction of the allure she does.

Here's where the romantic part comes in.

After months of fearing dating and disrobing, reality and relationships, she heard from an old friend via, what else, Facebook.

We're talking about someone she knew twenty years ago who still lives in Great Britain, just as he did when she first met him.

They started communicating and found enough of interest to schedule a first date, despite the pond that separates their continents.

They met in Paris two decades after they last saw each other.

Things went so well that they've now planned a second date.

He'll be arriving in Virginia in a few weeks and they're taking a two-week road trip.

It will begin with a drive down Skyline Drive to Ashville, meander through Nashville and Memphis and makes stops in Savannah and Charleston.

You read right, date #2 will last a fortnight.

Granted, the mere idea of a Parisian first date and a two-week second date are enough to satisfy the romantic in anyone, but for me, that's not even the most romantic part.

I'm blown away by the optimism of them both, their open willingness to just throw themselves into this possibility and see what develops.

In an attempt to make me understand why she's following her passion, she pointed out that, "If you're attracted to someone at one point in your life, chances are you'll be attracted to them at a later date, too. People don't change that much."

That story made my night, possibly my month.

Imagine having your life totally torn apart only to have something wonderful rise out of the debris.

And as has been said by many a wise man, being able to travel well together is not only the ultimate test of a relationship, but absolutely necessary for its success.

This second date of theirs already sounds like the most romantic date ever, if only because they're both willing to do it.

The romance that happens along the way will just be icing on the cake.

Could someone cut me a really big slice, please?

4 comments:

  1. nice story, apparently life IS like a movie script - sometimes

    anyhoo, that restaurant always reminds me of the album & favorite song from that album:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l082NT2w5Tg

    lookn frwrd to readin more

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her story was almost better than a movie script for being true and because she's a friend, so her happiness makes me happy.

    Last night they were even playing Roxy Music for a while, but not The Main Thing. Excellent choice, btw.

    I write plenty, so I hope you'll keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually don't like cake, for what it's worth.
    Another slice of pizza, I'd go for...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not that I was actually talking about cake, but then you knew that.

    As for pizza, anytime you're ready.

    ReplyDelete