Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Girls' Night Out with Guys (but what guys!)

What an interesting night.

We started out in search of a meal and covered so much more ground than expected.

Exes, music, restaurant critics and lust; all topics explored and resolved.

Okay, love issues still up in the air.

Wanting to increase my brain cells before killing a few, I began at a book reading at Fountain Books.

The writer was Tony Williams, the book was The Pox and the Covenant and it was about the colonial resistance to smallpox inoculation, of which a young Ben Franklin was a huge part.

The concept of using an African folk cure (immunization) was unacceptable to many at the time, not that we hadn't started using Native American folk cures for rattlesnake bites and the like.

I met Williams upon walking in: he was smart and funny and, as a former teacher, not above correcting the grammar of a student in the audience.

Nerd quotient fulfilled.

And then the real fun began. I collected my girlfriend and then it was just a matter of deciding where to go.

Tuesday means wine is half off at Acacia, Sette and Six Burner.

We both voted for Six Burner since we know so much of the staff and it turned out to be the right choice, because who else was eating at Six Burner?

That's right, Dale Reitzer, so we wouldn't have been the beneficiary of his cooking last night anyway.

The last couple of times I'd seen Josh, the bartender, had not been at Six Burner, but at the National and he'd read me the riot act about my absence at his bar, so I knew it was going to be a great evening when he sarcastically and enthusiastically welcomed us.

The kitchen, most of whom I know, too, seemed to be happy to see us as well, because it wasn't long before an amuse bouche arrived to accompany our half-price Albarino.

Picture a white anchovy draped over a Mediterranean potato salad of the tiniest pieces.

The flavors were transporting; we really could imagine eating it on a seaside balcony somewhere.

By this time, our twosome status had been augmented by the addition of a Y chromosome, a handsome, charming guy I am just getting to know these past few months but who knows my friend much better.

Freshly showered and shaved (as much as a bearded guy shaves), he was just what we wanted to shake up the dynamics of the evening.

Just as we're trying to decide on entrees, another surprise course arrived; this time it was Alaskan octopus with olives, tomatoes, potatoes, paprika, olive oil and lemon juice.

The consensus was that truly amazing octopus comes from our fiftieth state, although Chef Phillip Denny's preparation gets a lot of the credit, too.

Again with the Mediterranean flavors, it impressed us all as being worthy of vacation eating. Only then did we finally place our order.

In a nod to sundresses, motorcycle rides and spring in general, our next course was shad roe, sun choke puree, farm egg, arugula and Parmesan.

The fish cake-like shad roe was beautifully enhanced by the drippy egg yolk and delicate sun choke puree. Appropriately, the man among us did the final sopping of the last bits of roe and egg, as only men can do.

At this point we decided to switch grapes because the beauty of half price wine by the glass is being able to do so throughout the evening.

They went Malbec but not me.

Josh wanted me to try something new, in this case the most popular red grape in Austria, Zweigelt. I tasted the Austrian Cherry Zweigelt and happily took his recommendation; it was smooth, round and spicy with, surprise, hints of cherry.

With loins having already been a hot topic that evening, I'd ordered the lamb loin, salsify, local mushies, asparagus, carrot puree in a red wine sauce.

My girl had gotten my first choice, the barramundi and chorizo and my guy ordered the grilled quails with beluga lentils.

All three were superb and provided an ideal variety of tasting possibilities for the three of us.

That is, when we weren't discussing how happy and in-love parents set impossible role model standards for their children, a group which included all three of us.

It's fortunate to witness those kinds of successful long-term relationships, but we agreed that it sets such a high standard, not that we're not all still looking and hoping to nail it ourselves.

By this point, most of the staff was starting to trickle to the bar, leading to a discussion of the Ruth Reichl lecture I'd just seen and food critics in general.

Having been recently reviewed, the staff was way into the subject.

On my way to the bathroom, I stuck my head in the kitchen and thanked Phillip for a truly spectacular meal, enumerating the highlights and wanting him to know how appreciative we were.

His response was modest but his face looked as pleased as punch.

Once Josh changed into jeans and tucked a cig behind his ear, we knew we needed to find our next destination.

Balliceaux seemed likely to still be going, but actually, we just made last call.

Our bartender was Peter and he ended up having plenty of enticing things to discus with me.

Turns out we have very few degrees of separation on certain key people and that provided some excellent surreptitious chatting; he also held his own on the topic of music, so I hope to be back for more.

Meanwhile, gal pal had run into an "old friend" and they were deep in discussion about their past.

And then it was closing time.

Our final stop was Ipanema for dessert (chocolate cake with coffee icing and gluten-free carrot cake) and to do a recap of the evening.

We're both very fond of our guy pal, attributing it to his strong and elegant mom raising him to be the kind of guy that women seek out: intelligent, clever, hard-working and just generally fun to talk to and be with.

He scored major points with me when Josh and I were discussing upcoming shows and as I ticked off which ones I was soon attending, he started singing to me.

Karen, I'm not taking sides
I don't think I'll ever do that again
I'll end up winning and I won't know why

Are you kidding?

A man who knows that lyric off the top of his head?

So, yes, I now have a (strictly) friendly companion for the show and dinner next week. Life is good.

Karen, put me in a chair, fuck me and make me a drink
I've lost direction and I'm past my peak
I'm telling you this isn't me
No, this isn't me
Karen, believe me, you haven't seen my good side yet

And to that, I would say, well then show me your good side, gentlemen.

I'm all ears.

5 comments:

  1. "Smart and funny," huh? It was a pleasure to meet you. I'm glad you made the lecture part of your evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart and funny are the two highest accolades I can think of to describe a man.
    I really did enjoy your talk and I look forward to reading the book. It sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanx! Smart & funny are definitely welcome compliments. Fountain is a lovely bookshop and I hope to be back again real soon! Enjoy the book with my humble thanks. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. tiptoe thru our shiny city, with our diamond slippers on, do our gay ballet on ice,bluebirds on our shouldars

    completely stoked about this show!! sounds like your as stoked as me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am! I haven't seen them since 2008 (and 2007 before that)so I'm overdue. I even found a fellow fan to geek out along with me.

    so worry not
    all things are well
    we’ll be alright
    we have our looks and perfume

    ReplyDelete