Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Nouvelle Vague Luncheon

I learned my lesson yesterday.

On a 74-degree December day, seek out a sunny spot for lunch.

After a stop at Stuart Circle to pick up a friend, we made our way to the VMFA and Amuse's balcony for lunch.

Surprisingly, the balcony was relatively unpopulated and we took a table with a view of the falling water and the sun on our backs.

My friend was eager to tell me about his trip to Ireland, which for me is the Motherland, and I was eager to hear.

Long story short: driving sucked, hotels unimpressive, beer outstanding, people congenial and talkative and food so-so.

Luckily, the tights were good and he'd brought me back a cute pair to add to my international collection.

Our server got as far as the first special and we both said, "Yes, please."

So two grilled quail halves with roasted beets, wild mushrooms and broccoli rabe landed at our table as I heard tales of broken rental car mirrors, local oyster tastings and errant cows on the winding roads.

Sitting there on the balcony with a view of the sculpture garden full of sunning patrons, a breeze suddenly came up.

Next thing we knew, the wind lifted leaves from the ground below and began swirling them upward over our heads and across the roof of the museum.

"It's like a Truffaut movie," my friend observed.

The three older women next to us mistakenly presumed that the leaves were falling down when really it was so much more interesting than that.

We succumbed to dessert because it's a tradition with the two of us and the shared pot de creme came with two coconut cookies we both savored.

Just to celebrate the sunny day, we also finished with Kaleidescopes, the showy drink created by the Amuse bar staff for the Chihuly exhibit.

A combination of sparkling wine, sweet vermouth and absinthe, the flute also contained three colorful gelatin cubes made from various cordials.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating.

There is nothing like a little absinthe in the  afternoon.

Especially on a sunny balcony with leaves swirling upward.

In fact, I couldn't have ordered up a more enjoyable lunch experience.

"Life has more imagination than we do" ~ Truffaut

And aren't we lucky that it does?

No comments:

Post a Comment