Friday, December 21, 2012

Double Dutch Yum

'Tis the season to be indulgent.

To that end, the not-yet-open new restaurant Dutch and Co. in Church Hill was offering to-go lunches today.

While they're putting the finishing touches on the restaurant, they decided to tease Richmond with their to-go lunch program.

As a long-time fan of Acacia's very occasional to-go lunch program, I was all about it.

And while I don't usually get up much before lunchtime and Dutch & Co. was only serving from 11:30 to 1:00, it seemed worth making an adjustment for.

So while I didn't get up up until 11, all I had to do was skip my morning oatmeal and fruit to be in Church Hill by 11:40 to collect a brown box.

They were serving right out of the kitchen door onto 27th Street, making for a mix of clandestine and casual.

The guy in line behind me peered around me at the kitchen, saying, "Wow, that's a great ceiling!"

The pressed tin beauty was handsome and, as I said to him, no doubt the dining room will be even more so.

On the menu today was a triumvirate of Church Hill talent.

Meat master Chef Caleb had made sandwiches of housemade country pork pate with Brie, mustard and pickled fennel.

And get this: it was served on Sub Rosa bread, made by the talented baker Evrim a few blocks away.

With the sandwich came a savory salad of mixed greens, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts taking up half the box with its generous portion.

Dessert came courtesy of WPA Bakery, caddy-cornered from Dutch & Co., and encased in a wax-paper envelope.

It was a canele, a small French pastry with a soft center and a nice thick crust.

Yea, so for my first meal of the day, I was happily chowing down on an incredibly rich sandwich along with a mound of seasoned greens less than an hour after I woke up.

And you know what? Neither my stomach nor my body clock objected to country pate before noon.

As a matter of fact, they kind of reveled in it.

Sometimes you just need to start the day as indulgently as possible.

Once I finished, I did my usual walk through the cold, windy air, but with a feeling that the long holiday weekend had officially begun.

Once home, the phone rang and a friend who lives in Church Hill called to give me the inside scoop on a new restaurant in his neighborhood.

Picking pate out my teeth, I told him I was well aware of Dutch & Company.

He was sorry to have missed the tease of a boxed lunch.

I'm only sorry I have to wait to be indulged again by the new kids on the block.

Way to go, Church Hill.

3 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to come back and visit in the spring or summer. We may have to have a little meet up with a few friends at Dutch and Co.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the time you get back, there will be several places we need to investigate together! SO much happening here, as usual.

    Looking forward to seeing you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now we have another place you can meet me in my stomping grounds for a drink :)

    ReplyDelete