Friday, August 3, 2012

Hip Shaking Hindi Hits

Alright, so nobody asked me to dance.

Still, I wouldn't have missed DJ Carlito's Bollywood dance party at VMFA for anything.

By the time we arrived, the dance floor was mobbed with people moving to an Indian techno beat while clips of Bollywood films showed on the screen.

The energy was electric.

Best of all, there were more Indian people there than I've ever seen at a Bollywood dance party, much less at the VMFA.

Chalk it up to beats per minute, but I think the upbeat Indian dance music was irresistible to anyone, white or brown.

The best part was seeing so many Indians singing (while they danced) along to every song.

I only wished I knew the words.

The smell of sweat emanated from the dance floor in the best possible way while Hindu and Punjabi beats raged on.

My date went for wine while my hips wished I was dancing.

I ran into a friend who now works at the VMFA and is working on bringing the new Replacements documentary, "Color Me Obsessed" to Richmond.

Even better, he's organizing an evening of bands covering Repalcements songs to lead off the screening.

You know I'll be there.

Should anyone be looking for some input (hint, hint), I'd like to suggest "The Last," even though it's from their very last album, "All Shook Down," which is no one's favorite Replacements album.

Would it hurt to fall in love a little slower
I know it hurts at any speed
So you have another drink
And get down on your knees
You been swearing to god
Now maybe if you'd ask
That this one be your last
Cause this one, child, is killing you
This one's your last chance
To make this last one really the last
It's gotta last for always

So while I didn't dance, I thoroughly enjoyed standing at the edge of the dance floor watching so many people getting their Punjabi groove on.

The tough part was that it ended not long after 8:00, long before most people wanted to stop dancing.

A girl read my eyes and asked if I'd enjoyed the evening.

I had, but maybe not to the degree I could have and she seemed to sense that.

My date invited me upstairs to Amuse to finish off the evening.

With Boxwood Rose in hand (and Virginia roots attended to), we ordered a couple of dishes to, one of which also had a local connection.

Potato patties of green peas and cilantro with tamarind chutney were uniquely flavorful with a divine consistency.

We also went for the mussels with Surry sausage in wine and fresh herb broth with Pecorino and toasted bread because it never disappoints.

The evening had been anything but a disappointment and ended especially strong with two absinthe drips to put the loveliest finishing touch on it.

It's too early to run to Momma
It's too late to run like hell
I guess I will tell you
Cause I don't want to ask
That this one be your last
And this one, child, is killing you
But this one's your last chance
To make this last one really the last

By that point, everyone involved knew it was too late to run like hell.

Still, it had been a hell of a Hindi evening.

I only hope there'll be another before the Maharajah exhibit departs.

One last chance to make this last one really the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment