Sunday, August 19, 2012

Have You Ever Seen the Rain?

When I wake up to a rainy, gray August Sunday, I feel like it's a gift.

So when I set out on my walk, it's under a large flowered umbrella and with a different goal in mind.

Instead of my usual three miles, I want to walk four today.

Partly that's because I so enjoy walking in the rain (especially on a 70 degree day) but also because a longer walk will deposit me at Dixie Donuts.

I walk in behind a family of six (!) who look like they've just come from church.

While the three youngest kids shout their choices, the teen-aged son hangs back, clearly mortified to be part of all this.

"I want a snowcap!" one yells about the doughnut adorned with the white-dotted candy.

"I want the French toast one," another shouts.

"Can I have two chocolate toffees?" asks a third before the high-maintenance looking mother finally takes control and helps expedite the ordering process.

I feel the counter girl's pain.

When the family clears out, I order a basic chocolate doughnut, the last one of its kind on the tray.

Apparently I am not the only one with  simple taste when it comes to doughnuts.

To me, candy on top is superfluous when you have a well made cake doughnut.

I compliment the cashier on how adorable she and the counter girl look with matching pink bandannas tied around their heads.

Walking back toward Jackson Ward munching my doughnut as it lightly rains all around me makes the extra mile feel effortless.

Or maybe that was just the sugar buzz kicking in.

No comments:

Post a Comment