Saturday, August 4, 2012

Off the Rack

As a female who doesn't like to shop, I am a bit of a traitor to my sex.

But sometimes a companion needs to go to Diversity Thrift and why would I not at least browse through the dress choices?

It's not like the pants hold any interest for me.

Among a lot of school marm-looking dresses, I found a couple of things worth trying on because you never really know until you see something on your own body.

The first, a black and red print dress had a vaguely European peasant look to it, not my usual style.

On the other hand, I'd look right at home in Italy in it.

The other was more of a dressing gown with a prairie look. Again, not my style.

So now I can look right at home on the prairie, too.

Maybe it was the heat that had me imagining myself in different ways.

Lunch followed at Lunch where, conveniently, it was happy hour.

The Wolf Trap White Blend from South Africa jumped out at us both for its grapes: viognier, chenin blanc and grenache blanc.

It had everything: floral notes, a woody nose and nicely balanced acidity, making it a fine August afternoon indulgence.

While revisiting the '80s via the restaurant's soundtrack, we tried new-to-us sandwiches like the Parker Field and the 10K.

I know from my Richmond-born father that Parker Field disappeared long before I arrived and I did once walk a 10K, so that was enough justification for our choices.

A few other tables joined us in our late afternoon meal, although no one seemed to be enjoying Men at Work and Depeche Mode quite as much as we were.

We opted out of dessert only because I had homemade peach ice cream in the freezer at home.

With my peach allergy, I shouldn't be eating it in the first place, but the richness of peaches and cream is too alluring.

After the amount I dared to eat, I could have one of two problems.

One, my tongue will swell and my mouth will itch in reaction.

Two, my fitted little peasant dress will display a slightly more well-rounded peasant in it.

Sometimes a woman's just got to take those chances.

No comments:

Post a Comment