Thursday, May 26, 2011

Pouring the Glass Over My Head

My inner (and outer) nerd was dying a slow death of late.

Don't get me wrong, I love, nay, need to prolong my birthday celebration for as long as I possibly can, as long as friends are willing to fete me.

But enough is enough.

My brain was craving exercise.

Which is why I was eagerly anticipating tonight's documentary at the Virginia Center for Architecture; showing was "Modern Views: A Conversation on Northwest Modern Architecture" and a subject on which I knew nearly nothing.

The film covered the histories of five prominent Northwest modern architects and their vision of a clear, simple aesthetic with forms devoid of ornamentation and using new technologies.

Most of them were graduates of the University of Washington.

What I found fascinating generally was learning about a school of architectural design which I hadn't even known existed and specifically, learning of their insistence on integration with the environment, a unique feature of Northwest architecture.

Some of the most amusing scenes were old footage of an American Institute of Architects design competition with the renowned modernist Philip Johnson as one of the judges.

As he sat there with another judge perusing entries, he was brutal, tossing aside submission after submission with a witty dismissal indicating his disdain for the work.

Even the other judge had to laugh at his callousness at times; the man knew what he liked and eschewed the rest.

The period covered in the film was roughly from the 30s to the 50s and I thought it was interesting how, in their early quest for modernity, the brash young Turks architects used flat rooves and big overhangs on their houses.

Eventually, they had to accept that in a region known for its wetness, a pitched roof is a necessity unless you want leaking and pooling problems.

After their aha! moment, they adjusted accordingly.

Perhaps most striking was how green and environmentally conscious these architects were fifty years ahead of their time.

In an area starved for natural light, they used window placement and solar panels; they were ahead of the curve in insisting on natural and local materials.

I may have been the only brain-dead one there, but the room was packed with architects, members of Modern Richmond and artsy types.

A local art gallery owner took the seat next to mine, so I had another art nerd with whom to chat before and after the screening.

We discussed the differences between the Main Street art crowd and the Broad Street crowd (my preference having been stated here previously).

I mentioned how much I liked the new Arts District banners now lining Broad.

The tallest man in the room (and possibly in the city tonight) took the seat directly in front of me, so I moved over a seat.

Fortunately another architect noticed his oblivious move and the surrounding short people and threatened to throw crackers at the back of his head if he didn't move to the back.

That made him my architectural hero for the evening.

And although my usual M.O. would have been to stop somewhere on the way home, I opted to bring my recently re-engaged mind home and enjoy some reading on the back porch instead.

I'd received a book as an unexpected birthday present today and I wanted the pleasure of a good read from a surprising source.

To make the warm evening even better, I was listening to music with references to a character from a Gabriel Garcia Marquez novel.

You know, just in case I get lucky and find someone who wants to get all literary with me.

Another year older, another year just as foolishly optimistic.

Seriously, I will die with my glass half frickin' full.

But isn't that the way to go?

No comments:

Post a Comment