Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Secco: Our Best Shot at Being Girly Girls

Hi, my name is Karen and I'm an Olli addict.

I didn't know this before a few days ago when I had my first Olli, but here I am having just eaten my third in four days. How much cured meat does one female really need? I'm trying to figure that out.

It was a lovely girly day with a friend; we wore skirts, we went to U-Fab for fabric and we enjoyed a leisurely lunch at Secco, even talking about boys. The other people at the bar ate and moved on and still we lingered.

Since my friend is sadly unaccustomed to going out to lunch, we had to do some pink tasting before deciding on the white pepperiness of  Domaine Brazilier Côteaux du Vendomois Rose Gris, a tough choice in a field of worthy contenders.

It was also my friend's first foray to Secco, so we picked a sampling to better acquaint her with Chef Tim's food. First, the tortilla espanola with ramps ('tis the season), Yukon Gold potatoes and Parmesan cheese.

As our server acknowledged, it will be so sad when ramps disappear again. She also said that if on a date, either both or neither need to eat ramps.

We continued my Olli streak with their sweet coppa salumeria, and two fine cheeses, cave-aged Marisa from Wisconsin and Italian Caprino al Tortufo, a truffle-oil topped goat cheese that even a goat cheese-hater would have to love.

Olli's coppa impressed every bit as much as their salami and prosciutto had. Are they putting crack in this stuff?

It was wonderful being out and talking about everything and nothing. She's been redoing her house and yard and I've been redoing my social and personal lives. She rarely gets out in the evening and I'm out every night, a marked contrast from when we became friends.

Keeping to our girly theme, we both had the pulled roasted chicken over arugula with roasted beets, sliced apples, pecan and buttermilk/orange dressing. The light combination of fresh, peppery arugula and irregular chunks of roasted chicken in no way interfered with our rose absorption.

In fact, stopping by Garnett's afterwards for a shared dessert of hummingbird cake, kitchen aces Gregg and Mac accused us of many things having been over served. With only a glass apiece under our belts, we begged to differ, but were not taken seriously.

We finished up at my place, dropping off the materials for the big sewing project I'm doing for her and closing out today's chapter of the Ladies who Lunch.

Make that the Olli-addicted Ladies who Lunch. Don't judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment