Friday, May 21, 2010

Wrapping Up a Birthday Present

I'm really not the birthday present type. I mean, I always appreciate a gift, but I'm not the least bit disappointed when a birthday comes and goes and there are no gifts involved. What I love is to get words (especially written) directed at me or time spent with me because honestly, I'm not a big stuff person.

That said, a few minutes ago, I heard a knock on the neighbors' door downstairs and headed down to see what was up. I was greeted by the FedEx guy, who peered around the corner of their porch and asked, "Are you Karen?" I am, I told him, and seeing a package in his hand, I mentioned that my birthday was Sunday. I signed for it, he wished me a fun birthday and I took my unexpected package upstairs to open.

Inside were two bottles of wine from a good friend whom I had originally met in college (and who hated me on sight, I might mention). And not just any two bottles, but two I had specifically mentioned over the course of my blog as being particular favorites: the 2008 K. Vintner Viognier (mind-blowing aromas with pure balance and mineral) and the 2008 M. Chapoutier "Les Vignes de Bila-Haut" Cotes du Roussillon (concentrated flavors and a dark chocolate finish). I may not need presents, but I do love me some wine, especially ones I've had and been moved to rave about.

The interesting backstory to this gift is that the sender is the one who taught me to drink wine in the first place. When we met in college, I was not a wine drinker. As a native Californian, my friend was a huge wine drinker, even if what we were drinking back then was pretty mediocre. The Gallo Chablis and Black Forest cake incident will live on in our memories until death, although we've sworn to refrain from sharing it anymore.

Ironically, over the intervening years, I have gravitated to wine while my friend has moved away from it. During my last visit in 2008, I discovered that Riesling and Muscat make up the sum of my friend's wine drinking today; if it's not sweet, it doesn't appeal, which represents a huge difference in our wine taste. It didn't stop us from drinking together; we just drink from different bottles.

But the thoughtfulness that went into this gift is what struck me most. Any wine would have been appreciated, but the effort involved in choosing based on my own blog ramblings was incredibly considerate. I know people read me, but some of them are actually paying attention? That's pretty impressive, I have to say, even for a long-time friend.

So the person who doesn't need birthday gifts kicked off her birthday weekend with a surprise present. I'll drink to that!

4 comments:

  1. Happy happy birthday...I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure which I appreciate more, the birthday wishes or the blog praise. Either way, Anonymous, you made my morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merely "a good friend"? I thought I would at least merit "one of my oldest and dearest friends"! Ha-Ha

    ReplyDelete