Thursday, May 20, 2010

Lunching with the Birthday Girl

At the rate I'm going, I'll be the size of a house by my birthday. Or explode, whichever comes first. That's not a complaint because if there's any week I want to feel overfed it's my birthday week.

Growing up in a large family, my Mom always insisted that we choose the meals for our big day, so I must have gotten it in my head that over-indulging in my favorite foods is a birthday prerogative. Luckily, these days I have good friends who are happy to overeat with me.

Yesterday my nerd friend accompanied me to 821 for lunch. Yes, I'd just been there on Sunday, but the burning question was whether or not the black bean nachos (which I order way too often there) would remain as well done when they came out of a new kitchen. I even warned our server at the bar that I was there on a quality control mission.

Worry not, kids, they tasted exactly the same and my record is intact for not being able to finish the entire plate of them. I didn't feel too bad because my friend, who'd skipped breakfast in order to fully enjoy a half pound burger and fries, was unable to finish his lunch either. Considering I'd had breakfast (can't live without it), I'd say I did just fine and he was the food wimp. He may dispute that however.

Today I met photographer friend for lunch at Garnett's, my second lunch at Garnett's this week. Tuesday I'd had their stellar Cobb salad but today I went with the grilled pepperoni, turkey, Swiss cheese, onions and Dijon mustard on Italian bread sandwich. I managed to finish all of my black-eyed pea salad but only 90% of my sandwich. I'm guessing my breath wasn't the best after all that, either, but it was completely worth it (and no one was going to kiss me anyway).

My friend got the Big Daddy, an obscenely large assemblage of roast beef, bacon, ham, turkey, Swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, Dijon mustard and mayo on toasted Italian bread. I have to presume that this is Mac's creation, he being a big daddy and all, but he was too busy to do anything other than smirk a greeting at me and go back to making his supreme sandwiches, so I don't know that for sure.

The only shame of all this lunching out is that my over-ordering has precluded any chance of dessert while out and I am many things, but one of my most defining features is my need for sweet. Fortunately, there are still a few days left in which to address that.

Because another thing my mother instilled in us was that no matter how full you may think you are, there's always that little corner where you have room for something sweet (especially chocolate). I intend to fill that corner several times over before this birthday business is all over.

3 comments:

  1. I can't be the only reader who would like to celebrate your birthday with you. Have you thought of letting people meet you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, so when's your actual birthday? Was it yesterday? If so that's funny, because I had 2 other friends with a birthday on the 20th, and I keep meeting Taurus friends left and right. Would love to celebrate with you sometime soon. Was at Twenty Seven last night with my date whose bday it was and we had a great time chatting with Carlos and the staff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a full-on Gemini, not a Taurus. My birthday is Sunday so I'm still in the lead-up period!
    I told you 27 was a great joint.

    ReplyDelete