Saturday, May 29, 2010

Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger

My love affair with the cheeseburger is long-standing and well documented, here.

No vacation is complete without one, even when the ground meat is from an unusual animal (South Africa) or it's being used as a hangover remedy (London).

And certainly no birthday goes by without a nod to the traditional birthday burger.

I was late getting around to it, but finally made it to Carytown Burger and Fries to relive my childhood birthday dinners today.

Just recently a friend and I had discussed our feelings about burgers being put on fancy bread or unusual rolls; we're against it.

For that matter, I know some people don't require cheese on a burger and that would have amounted to blasphemy in my family.

I'm all about the cheeseburger and not what's used to augment it ("gussy it up" as my grandmother used to say).

But I was alone in my purist feelings on the subject at lunch.

One friend got the Kojak Burger (bacon, egg, cheese, lettuces, tomato, onion, mustard, mayo and pickles).

I teased him about his burger, saying "You sure you couldn't have gotten more on that burger?" (it definitely qualified as tall food) only to have him inform me that it didn't have the chicken tender or it would have been the Barnyard Brawl Burger.

There are people who want chicken on their burger?

When did this happen?

I can more easily understand the Bomb (chili, melted cheddar, bacon, grilled onion, mushrooms, lettuce, tomato, onion, mustard, mayo and pickles) KA BLAM! than I can the Barnyard Brawl.

I wouldn't eat it, either, but it's not quite as off-putting.

Do I really want cow and fowl battling in my mouth?

Frankly, no.

So I happily ate my cheeseburger with catsup, mustard and pickles, although it took me longer than it did my friend to finish his Kojak.

That's just a guy/girl thing, though; I was savoring and he was inhaling.

A good cheeseburger is worthy of either.

7 comments:

  1. I had a Roy's Big Burger today. Delicious. I am also partial to Can Can's burger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mustard and a slice of raw onion and I'm good to go. (Pickle on the side important bees wax.) Usually it means, go back to the kitchen. I prefer most meats medium-rare. For hamburgers, it's a must. Texture is dominant. If a restaurant can make toast, it can make a medium-rare hamburger. Can, but will it? Northside Grill makes a great burger. Their inability to be consistent leaves me hungry and out of time. I still tip well. The server is not my cook, merely my emissary. Your missives are true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had a Ray's burger. Perhaps I should correct that.

    My one and only burger at Northside Grill was after giving blood for the first time, followed by riding in a pace car at 95 mph on the RIR track.

    The burger tasted really good, perhaps given my bloodless and terrified state.

    My aim is true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. New to Richmond next month. Where are the best places for burgers in Richmond and Midlothian?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regarding your missives, my point exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roy's Big Burgers is all about the atmosphere. Don't even try to request how you wish your burger cooked. Their fries are Saints on a fatty highway. Combine with an E.P. impersonator, RBB's as a chapel, grilled onions for a ring(s) and BP may decide to drill. Fun part? Everyone stands around waiting for food orders. All are outside, yet without music you know you are on a flat elevator. Converse. Sheepish smiles and dialog unfolds. Suddenly, one is surrounded by grins and chit-chatter. This is my missive and my aim is true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous the Regular,
    You simply must find a way to distinguish yourself from the host of other anonymous commenters...or is that asking too much?

    ReplyDelete