Thursday, January 7, 2010

Of Mixes, Ice and Deep Thinking

Today was all about a head-clearing road trip. A friend had recently made me two mix tapes and wanted feedback and there's no better way to do that than by taking to the open road to drive and listen and think. The only problem was he didn't provide song listings and I'm way too curious about unfamiliar music not to know who's doing what; hopefully I can get him to correct that.

I've rhapsodized about mix tapes before. These seemed to be a melange of music he favors, newer stuff he's picked up on and some off-beat things he may have even been trying to impress me with. The first listen to a new mix is so enjoyable for the unexpected pleasures.

As for the visual portion of the drive, like an idiot, I forgot my camera, which was a shame because I've never seen the Rappahannock River iced over. In some places, it even looked like there were small ice floes. Just beautiful. I would have loved to have been able to stop the car on the bridge and just admire it but that's generally frowned upon.

Arriving back in the Ward in late afternoon, I felt better for having taken the break to get out of town. Not that I resolved the many issues swirling around in my head, but the music and the river had provided a wonderful interlude.

No comments:

Post a Comment