Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Amazing Party with Amazing Ghost

I want to make it perfectly clear that I did not participate in tonight's dance-off, despite being actively recruited and repeatedly cajoled.

What were they thinking, asking me anyway?

The invitation-only party, while held at Ipanema, featured an array and abundance of delicious food from 8 1/2 and the music of Amazing Ghost, whom I'd missed at Balliceaux just a few weeks ago due to prior plans.

Someone asked me if I was familiar with the band and I admitted that I knew of them, but hadn't actually heard them live.

But the fact was that I recognized members of the group from Fight the Big Bull, Bio Ritmo and the Great White Jenkins, so I could honestly say I'd heard over half the band play live before.

This was a group of excellent musicians with songs demonstrating a hilarious sense of humor.

Before they started, we ate ourselves silly and did the mingle thing.

I ran into Amy, whom I hadn't seen in years, and that alone yielded a long catch-up chat filled with love life advice.

I met a friend's new girlfriend, whom he'd met through a dating site, and they both enthusiastically supported the whole online method of finding someone good, even giving countless examples of friends who've met their future spouses that way.

I remain unconvinced, but wish them well.

One of the best conversations I had was with Dan about the difficulties of dating when you have atypical interests.

He's made peace with remaining solo, though, and I can't say that I have.

I got a terrific ego boost from Hunter, who reads my blog regularly late-night and told me he really likes my "city view;" apparently my off-kilter take on RVA keeps him coming back to read at all hours.

Hunter was definitely the star of the dance-off, with his alternately smooth and frenetic moves, not to mention endless energy, so it was kind of like being complimented by the prom king (well, except I didn't go to my prom, but that's another story).

And a man who can cook and dance is a force to be reckoned with, in my humble opinion.

As for me, I'd be more than satisfied if I could eventually find someone who shared some of my nerdy interests.

If he can cook or dance or anything else, it's all gravy.

Of course, first I'd have to be willing to start dating and maybe that would be easier with someone I already know.

Hmm, there's a thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment