Saturday, June 13, 2009

Leaving My Comfort Zone (the city)

Holmes convinced me to try the new Barrel Thief Wine Shop and Cafe on Patterson last night (he'd already been there) and while I prefer not to venture further west than Thompson Street, it was better than I expected. We shared a couple of bottles of 2007 Crivelli Barbera D'Asti and at only $16 a bottle, I was sold on the retail pricing aspect of the place. The wine had hints of cherry with strong tannins and went down smoothly.

We sampled the cheese plate (3 selections, which change daily, in good-sized wedges with bread and crackers) and the crab quesadillas and something they called a brownie, but in reality was a flourless chocolate chunk of heaven (and at only 5 bucks, a real bargain price for dessert these days). There was a 3-piece jazz combo playing (sax, upright bass and drums) from 7 to 9 or so and they added a nice vibe to the evening.

Will I go back? Location aside, well-priced wine is always a draw, so only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment