Thursday, August 4, 2011

Good Things To Eat

If I say I brought a bottle of Virginia wine in my bag, does that tell you where I ended up?

It says nothing about where I started out, which was at The Camel for Todd Raviotta's art opening.

Before I even made it inside, I ran into a musician headed up to WRIR for an interview. That yielded some fun conversation and a FB friend request before I even got home.

The prolific photographer was showing his art work, all of it based on a life going to shows in Richmond. I know because I see him everywhere.

The first image I saw was of Prabir and the Goldrush, a band I know well.

In Raviotta's image, Treesa's dress was green glitter and Prabir was singing with his mouth wide open and Matt had his head bent, the better to hear his bass (I strain, too).

An image of No BS Brass band showed the musicians mid-note, with everyone's mouth open and singing.

There were many images of burlesque dancers in addition to one of a six headed DJ (actually three double exposures).

I admire Todd because he eschews the use of Photoshop in his photography; instead, he prints his pictures on waterproof paper, creating a canvas for further work.

Then, using nail polish (and often glitter nail polish) he paints on the photographs. It's interesting what gets his brushstrokes and what doesn't. Treesa's dress did.

Todd said tonight that this art form was his way of combining his love of photography with painting and his affinity for the people in his world (musicians and burlesque performers) without having to resort to using a screen.

After perusing the paintings and talking to the artist, I headed up the hill to The Roosevelt, where I arrived to a standing-room-only dining room.

It was also the first night of full ABC service. Just in case, though, I'd brought a bottle of my own. For the record, it was Virginia wine.

I took the seat vacated by Jason Alley, chef at Comfort, and was immediately introduced to my seatmate, a merchandiser for Urban Outfitters and a charming conversationalist.

Considering my Diversity Thrift summer dress, I'm fortunate that he even deigned to talk to me.  But he did, and with enthusiasm

I asked for the Virginia Fizz, which had already sold so well that the remainder was on ice being chilled down.

Rather than wait, I opted for the Boxwood Rose, which came to me highly recommended by the owner. She was right.

The conversation with my new found friend was fascinating; we covered suburban childhoods (his), diversity in the neighborhood (mine) and the appeal of beer labels in making a selection (given his line of work, not surprising).

The good news is that The Roosevelt carries no throwaway beers, so bring your best beer-drinking game when you come. Beer and a shot comes with knowledge, not on the menu.

After lively discussion of city life and Mama J's, I found myself hungry and ordered the squash fritters with Tabasco remoulade at my new friend's suggestion.

The irregularly shaped fritters had the right amount of  crunch outside to balance the  savory inside, especially when dredged in the remoulade.

My companion, a highly visual type, described the decor of some favorite high-end restaurants and hotels while I enjoyed my fritters

The dining room became a tad more civilized as a few tables got up to go and were not immediately filled.

A musician friend (and, as it turned out, blog reader) appeared with his beloved and we talked local music until he had to go. Readers seem to turn up everywhere.

Then I ordered the steak tartare with egg yolk, pickled mustard seed and grilled bread.

The dish was amazing; the couple next to me ordered it twice tonight. The yolk made the dish, imparting a a richness that the tartare could only absorb.

I pricked it, it oozed and I savored it like, well, I hadn't had a a good yolk in a while.  Metaphor-like.

The grilled bread, when eaten with the tartare, gave a cooked quality to the beef that was wholly unexpected...and perfect.

With my raw meat, I enjoyed a pairing of Mountfair Merlot. As good a pairing as it was, the raw meat and yolk were the star. Still, I drank on.

After dinner, I was invited to join a contingent at the center table. Fortunately, I'd had the foresight to bring a bottle of 2008 Cardinal Point Cabernet Franc/Viognier to share.

While celebrating Virginia's new BYOB law, we talked about wineries, American food origins and why it's important to stand up to people who disagree with you (this happens to us both frequently).

Be nice, but be firm. Hate no one. And when in doubt, ignore the people who don't matter.

One of my favorite drummers came in and I greeted him enthusiastically, not having known before that he was a Church Hill resident. Like the other neighbors, he is rejoicing at The Roosevelt's opening.

"We're just going to sit you out front with a bottle of wine and you can bring in business," my friend informed me.

It was at that point that we switched to a bottle of Whitehall Cabernet Franc, very different from the last.

I sipped it while flipping through a fascinating book, "Rufus Estes Good Things to Eat," the first cookbook by an African-American (full of yummy things like tongue toast).

There were no less than ten return customers at The Roosevelt tonight, all raving about the food and thrilled that the ABC license has arrived.

I was just another returning face with a bottle of Virginia wine and a propensity to talk to everyone.

The Roosevelt, not just for teetotalers anymore.

4 comments:

  1. some squash fritters would be pretty tasty 'bout now.

    cw

    ReplyDelete
  2. And these were only four bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. those squash fritters actually taste of summer squash, not breading, not fry oil. They were divine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed! They made a squash-lover out of my friend who used to refuse to even taste squash.

    ReplyDelete