Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Doughnut Deliverance

It's a classic good news/bad news situation.

Now that Lamplighter is carrying Country Style doughnuts, I don't have to drive out Williamsburg Road for my doughnut fix.

But unless you're at Lamplighter pretty early, the selection gets pretty limited.

I don't get much of anywhere early anymore. Which means when I arrived at Lamplighter for a doughnut around 11:15, there were no more cake doughnuts.

And while I'll eat a yeast doughnut (this morning's was toasted coconut), my preference is always for a cake doughnut.

Ideally, I like a chocolate cake doughnut with chocolate icing, but a plain cake doughnut with chocolate icing is almost as good.

There's something about the heaviness of a cake doughnut that satisfies on a level that a yeast doughnut doesn't.

I used to work with a woman who would go into Krispy Kreme when the "Hot" sign was on, order a dozen glazed doughnuts with a hot chocolate and eat them all there in one sitting.

She was part proud and part ashamed of this fact.

I don't know anyone, male or female who could eat a dozen cake donuts in one sitting. Nor would I want to.

Today's toasted coconut yeast doughnut was enjoyed outside Lamplighter sitting in a pale blue school desk/chair under the prayer flags and shaded from the late morning sun.

It occurred to me that a couple of hours earlier and it could have been a cake doughnut.

Looks like I'll have to revert to the Williamsburg Road location if I'm going to remain a slugabed with a penchant for cake doughnuts.

5 comments:

  1. de to cake doughnut.

    ode to the late morning.

    ode to Dolce Vita.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meet me for a cake doughnut sometime?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...oh but you are such a character..

    cw

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would not have figured you for a Country Style Donut aficionado. Shows how little I know. I have driven way out of my way to get some o' them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to just go ahead and take that as a compliment.

    ReplyDelete