Thursday, January 6, 2011

I'll Wait, Not Call

When someone gives me a hard time about not having a cell phone, I have plenty of justification for why I won't become one of the mobile masses. But one of the primary reasons is as simple as what cell phone culture has done to people's attention spans.

I can't always think of an example of this when I'm trying to justify myself to the cell-dedicated, but I heard a perfect example on my walk today. Heading toward the Village on Grace Street, a guy was looking left and right. Finally, he called someone and asked the dumbest question I've heard in a while, "Are you here?"

Apparently the callee confirmed what the caller had already known; he wasn't there yet. "Okay, then I'll go back inside and get a table," caller boy said.

Remember back in the olden days when you were meeting a friend at a restaurant and they weren't there when you arrived? You had a choice to make; you could get a table and wait for them or stand out front and wait for them.

But the issue wasn't so pressing or perplexing that you needed to know immediately in order to decide your course of action. Whether you stood or sat, your friend was likely going to find you once they arrived. And if they never showed, you ate lunch by yourself. But life went on.

Mine still does, but clearly I'm in the minority. Maybe that's my objection to cell phones: they negate the need for patience. And isn't patience worth preserving?

Patience is a virtue.
Possess it if you can.
Seldom found in woman.
Never found in man.

I beg to differ.

11 comments:

  1. Next time you are going to the Village - give me a call and we'll meet... oh, wait a minute... guess you can't...

    ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone's a smartass! I knew I'd take crap for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. .... ok ..that was pretty funny...you laughed..admit it...however i know what you mean...personally i have a cell phone but dropped my service last February...just felt i could do without it...if someone wants to call me...call me at home or the office...in between i need some privacy..does everybody have to be on call 24/7..apparently some do...still sometimes you want or need to make a call...no more pay phones...it's a drag..and by the way...i've got plenty of patience...last time i looked..i'm still a guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, I have more than enough patience (the examples I could give!), despite my handicap as a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. look you've got to get over these remarks, such as," handicap as a woman"...do you honestly believe that? I'm not going to feel sorry for you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, I don't believe that. I was referring to that quotation I used saying patience is seldom found in woman.

    I've got patience to spare, so I know other women do, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ... one day you'll have a cell phone and i'll reactivate mine.. we will not have a choice..they'll probably be the only game in town...by the way..you're not out tonight..what's wrong? it must be killin' you? or is it still early and you're heading out the door...

    ReplyDelete
  8. And when that happens, mine will stay at home where the land line sits now.

    I was out and just got home. You may be surprised to learn that some nights I'm home before midnight.

    It happens. Occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "home before midnight"...has sort of a Cinderella ring to it.. real sweet..sleep tight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ok...guess this is all sounding a bit too chummy...i'll go back to being a serious reader.. [don't want to bore you or the public..]..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beware! You wouldn't want to get chummy with a blogger.

    ReplyDelete