Monday, January 17, 2011

Calling a Stranger

I hadn't seen my friend Gregg since before Thanksgiving, so I thought I'd call him up and suggest we rectify that. And I hate talking on the phone, so you know I wanted to see him.

Him: Hello?
Me: Hey, what's up?
Him: The usual. How 'bout you?
Me: About the same. Do you even know who this is?
Him: Not entirely sure.
Me: It's Karen! See, it has been too long.
Him: Oh, hey!
Me: I'm calling because it's been ages since we got together so I thought maybe this week...
Him: You mean for the signing?
Me: Um, what signing?
Him: Wait, Karen, you're not coming to the signing?
Me: Is this Gregg XYZ?
Him: No. Is this Karen ABC?
Me: Nope. Hey, my mistake. Sorry.
Him: (laughing) Hey, it was fun talking to you. See you, Karen.
Me: See you, Gregg.

One digit off in a phone number and I'm in a parallel universe. What are the chances that a random mis-dial results in getting someone with the name of the person I was calling? Or that he'd have a friend named Karen?

I came *this* close to asking him where the signing was, but good sense stopped me.

Sadistically speaking, I live on planet Odd World. No need to push those boundaries any further.

2 comments:

  1. this happened to me once...sorta..the other party & i talked briefly as if we thought we knew one another...honestly i believe we were both "fooled" and then realized we had the wrong number...however it became very interesting.. and fun. But nothing came of it.. still it opened the door to what if??

    ReplyDelete
  2. We both thought it was pretty funny when we realized our mistake!

    ReplyDelete