Monday, June 24, 2013

Strong Tea, No Metaphor

I couldn't decide if it was more about the southern charm or the splendor of location.

A friend invited me to lunch at Homemades by Suzanne in the John Marshall Hotel and since I hadn't been in since the bazillion-dollar renovation, hell, yes.

Walking in off of 5th Street, I loved how they'd kept the stately, old feel of the interior while updating it subtly with contemporary furniture and limited technology tastefully placed.

Lunch is served in the smaller of the two ballrooms and we got a table next to one of the enormous windows looking down on the streetscape.

The room was neutral to the max -beiges, taupes- no doubt so as to be an unobtrusive backdrop for the scores of weddings held here.

The servers wore black catering-type uniforms and were all exceptionally friendly and on point with service.

One very old-school element was the all-inclusive lunch price, providing a main, a side and a drink.

Friend was aghast that they didn't yet have their ABC, but adjusted, while I asked for unsweetened tea, knowing that it would be a well-made one.

It was, strong and fresh-tasting, just the way my Mom still makes it.

Amongst some family members, it's referred to as "black gold" for its pure, unadulterated tea flavor, but it's my standard.

The rolls on all the sandwiches are housemade, which I needed to taste, so I got the club for its country ham, turkey and thick-sliced bacon.

Friend got a sampler plate of cold salads and ate two of those rolls lavishly buttered.

Good rolls, just like my Richmond grandmother used to make.

For a side, I had the housemade potato chips with dip, eschewing cheddar bacon for cucumber/dill dip for no real reason.

All in all, the thick sandwich was a standout, mostly because of that country ham and bacon.

It was an outstanding way to have pig two ways.

Friend found his shrimp, chicken and tuna salads a tad on the wet side, but we both acknowledged that extra mayo is the southern salad way and a standard for many people.

With at least half a dozen dessert choices, we chose carrot cake, which did not have an overly thick layer of frosting, to my friend's delight.

I'll always eat more frosting.

After bringing each other up to date on our lives, we strolled across the lobby to look at the larger ballroom.

While it had a stunning vaulted ceiling it had no windows, although I was almost willing to let the permanent wooden dance floor make up for that.

There was even a balcony around the upper area of the room, a place to get away from the party or take some picaresque shots.

Still, I missed the windows.

Not that there's any chance I'll need a room for a wedding reception anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment