Saturday, March 2, 2013

Hiking for Quiche and Snark

"Duh" is apparently the new shorthand for, "Gosh, golly, Karen, you're right."

I discovered this after sending an old friend a message: "You, me, lunch. Too long since we caught up, mister."

He accepted my invitation with, "Duh!? Let's do a hike and have lunch here tomorrow. I made the best Italian sausage quiche ever today. Nom, nom, nom."

I met him at his Church Hill apartment, getting my first full tour since my last visit had come when he'd first moved in and wasn't ready to show me the disorder.

Today I found the charming space crammed with all kinds of his finds, not surprising because he's a long time pack rat collector.

An enormous painting by local Sally Bowring rested on the mantle.

Nearby, a vintage fiddle from the '60s sat in its case.

In the kitchen, I saw campaign posters for Johnson/Humphrey ("Support USA") and Mondale/Ferraro on the walls.

He suited up so we could head out on our urban hike before enjoying the promised lunch.

Blazing a trail through the old neighborhood, around buildings, down stairs, from overlooks and back up steep hills, I eventually warmed up, no small task given the occasional snowflake and my friend's slower pace.

I heard of his women troubles, made easier by giving all three interested parties the stiff arm, and how happy he was just enjoying working on himself rather than a relationship.

We talked about Santa Barbara, a place I've visited and one under consideration for him if he chooses to abandon the Commonwealth.

Conveniently, we ended up at WPA Bakery where a plate of caneles arrived on the counter just as we did and four of them had to come home with us.

Back at his cozy digs, his two large cats hovered about as he prepared salads and the promised quiche for our lunch.

Because he's known me for almost four years, he's comfortable reminding me of things like how I can sound snarky when my intent is quite the opposite.

Likewise, I can remind him that he's not going to meet any new women to stiff arm if he doesn't get out more at night.

He was right about his quiche, a savory combination of sausage, mushrooms and cheese, admitting that he'd already earmarked half a piece for a midnight snack later tonight.

Better yet, I thought, was to earmark two pieces for later and invite someone over whom he didn't want to stiff arm.

Duh!?

No comments:

Post a Comment